04 || F O U R

"It's hard to convince others of the truth, especially when they can't see past the surface."

*

Fix me.

How many Androids reported their own faults? Defects? None.

Most would function until the very second they couldn't, never admitting to the defects in their core. It wasn't their fault. Androids were designed to work until their batteries died. After that, Bionics would just scoop them up and replace them, no questions asked.

But I couldn't wait until the last minute. And I refused to be replaced.

Not like they can replace me...

When I was created, it didn't take me long to understand that I was special. One of a kind. A perfectly built android, closer to human than ever designed before, I was Bionics' key to the future. And yet, while my future with the company was set in stone, my life at home hung by a thread. Because as fast as I had learned to accept myself, my parents decided I wasn't what they'd needed, after all. There was no choice but to accept that, too.

My recreation hadn't been for my existence, but theirs. They may have let me go, but when they added Wendy into our family mix, I couldn't focus on the negatives. The bright-eyed girl with fairy tale dreams was a new positive. My existence became hers, too.

Being broken meant I was a hazard to her, and I couldn't live with that.

Mary had to fix me.

And after an hour on the phone, discussing the pros and cons of manual screenings without a functional assistant bot, I knew she could... or she'd at least try. Trying was better than waiting.

Mary agreed to return the next afternoon. For me, that was fine. My mornings consisted of cleaning, cooking breakfast, and taking Wendy to school. Meaning I'd have distractions to keep my mind away from negatives until she came by.

Or at least, I thought I would.

As Wendy and I walked down the sunny street, I couldn't help but watch the androids nearby. Some mowed the lawns of their respective houses. Others walked their owners' pets. Fully functioning without a hiccup in sight.

Yet, some remained outside, standing on their porches, not moving.

Frozen. Dormant. Off.

I stared at them for so long, I nearly crossed the next street without looking.

"Peter!" Wendy's hand gripped mine tight as I took a step forward. Though she was small, she managed to stop me and pulled me back. "Be careful!"

I looked down at her. Her eyes were wide with shock. Trying to smile at her and assure her I'd made a mistake wouldn't work. I was Peter Pan, and he never made mistakes. That's what she truly believed.

Still, I smiled and stepped back on the curb I shouldn't have moved from. The red hand across the street flashed for a second before changing. With a gentle pull forward, I got her to walk with me. "I was excited, that's all," I lied as best I could.

"For what?" Wendy asked, adjusting the strap of her backpack. "It's only Tuesday."

"Well, do you know what else Tuesdays are good for?" My smile widened. When she dipped her head down in thought, I glanced back at the androids now a block away. Still, they hadn't moved. And I couldn't pick up on their sensors.

Broken. Infected. Useless.

"Oh!" Wendy's squeal caught my attention, and I glanced down at her as we walked. "I know!"