12 || T W E L V E

"Impulse created everything. The world. It's people. I'm no different, you know."

*

Memory loop. Playback saved file. Dated: July 3rd, 2016

The rings fit perfectly around our fingers. Spontaneously purchased. No need to resize. They held up in our heat, never budging, never moving. Silver bands slick with our love.

I looked down at mine as the moonlight hit it. Spinning it once around, I smiled, happily sighing as the cool night air hit my face. That smile turned into an all-out, hearty laugh. I couldn't help myself.

Who else could say they married the girl of their dreams? Their high school sweetheart? Not many. And I was proud to be amongst the few.

"Javier?" Mary's sweet, yet seductive voice hit me as she opened the door to our motel room. Standing within the open doorway in just her underwear, I couldn't help but bite my lip.

I turned my shoulder into the door frame as she opened it another inch, and another. A grin lifted my lips. "What'chu doing out of bed?" I asked.

Her beautiful, dark cheeks turned scarlet, and she looked down at her bra. Teasingly, she played with the lace bow in front of it. "I mean, you weren't in here." Only her brown eyes lifted to look at me. "Aren't I supposed to be in bed with my husband?"

Reaching forward, I grabbed her hand before she could entice me inside. "You asked me to come out here, remember?" My tongue trailed along my bottom lip. "You wanted some ice cream."

"Well, I mean, you didn't go get it, so..." Mary pushed out her bottom lip and batted her eyelashes. "I won't complain if you come back inside. I miss you already."

Honestly, I debated the option. I could easily slip back into the bedroom, take off every piece of her lingerie, and remind her just how far my love can go.

But she wanted ice cream. And what my queen wants, she gets.

I leaned forward, and with just one finger, lifted her chin so our lips met. The kiss I gave her was soft, sweet, and quietly told her to hold out until I made it back. "Give me half an hour, okay?" I whispered, looking at her with hooded eyes. "I'll grab you that ice cream and be right back."

Mary's head dipped against the side of the door as she watched me take three steps back. "But the store isn't around here. We're in the middle of bu-fu."

I smiled and bit the insides of my cheek. Having a secluded night was her idea, not mine. But there had been a reason why we said our I do's in front of a judge and not a priest. And why her father called her phone every fifteen minutes.

Not wanting to think of the negative, I pushed the thoughts away and smiled. My hands slid along the sides of the stair railing as I walked down into the parking lot. "Just a half-hour, babe. I promise I'll make it up to you."

I pulled open the driver's side door and looked up where she stood; still with the door open, still in her underwear. I took a minute to admire every inch of her before I jumped in the car and drove away.

The cold air from the opened window helped reduce the heat swelling in my body. Sweet guitar rifts came out from the radio, and I tapped my hands on my steering wheel, matching the beat. It calmed me. By the time I drove a mile down the road, I was cool, collected, but eager to get back.

"All right," I said to myself as I slowed the car before the train tracks, stopping before the separator went down. My hands checked my pockets. "Ice cream."