| 02 |

The next morning Jack woke up before all the hunters, Mary, Sam, and Dean, and snuck out of his room

The next morning Jack woke up before all the hunters, Mary, Sam, and Dean, and snuck out of his room. Tiptoeing, the young Nephilim made his way to the library, it only took him about an hour to find the book he was looking for. Sliding the book underneath his arm, he heads to the kitchen to get some cereal only to find Cas is there sitting at the table.

"Jack, good morning." Cas greats softly, "What are you doing up so early?"

"I had some trouble sleeping so I figured I'd do some light reading and get some breakfast." He puts the book down and goes through the process of getting his cereal. Cas doesn't think twice about it and goes back to reading yesterday's newspaper.

Once Jack has his cereal he goes back to his room and begins to read. Finding so many interesting things on the mermaid and merman species that lived in the oceans. He didn't come out of his room for the whole morning.

Indigo on the other hand was in his small cave he made in the side of the pond. He'd gotten use to the loneliness but a small part of him was hoping that Jack was coming back today like he said he was going. The young merman did his own normal routine. He swam around and hunted for his breakfast, feeling satisfied after two fish.

The life of a merman was very boring at times. This pond was beginning to out grow him and he couldn't leave it. He didn't know the next time he'd get lucky enough to find another pond that someone could turn to salt water, not to mention he didn't know where he was. But he had to think that this small pond was better than being in a tank like he was before.

A few ripples at the top of the surface causes him to swim up in hope of Jack returning to the pond. When his head breaks through the surface he's gravely mistaken, an older looking man wearing a plaid shirt over a dark grey one is standing not far from the edge of the water. He could tell what he was just by what he had on. His kind were trained from a young age to spot hunters. They had a distinctive aura about them.

The man looked at him in shock. Acting fast he dives back under the surface and hides back in his small cave. His mind was racing and terror filled his brain. Indigo didn't come up for the rest of the day.

He waited for nightfall to return to the surface. Laying on the surface of the water he watches the stars twinkle in the sky. Indigo loved watching the stars and he wasn't going to let anyone, especially a hunter, take that away from him. The snapping of a twig causes Indigo's tail to go fully under the water and the rest of the body to go into an upright position. His eyes focus on figure emerging from the tree line and he relaxes when he sees Jack's smiling face.

"Hi!" Jack says putting the duffel bag down next to the shoreline. He sits down and then opens the bag.

Indigo swims over to the shoreline and begins to peer into the bag, all merfolk were curious by nature. Things that they didn't understand intrigued them. So when he saw the big bag, he was extremely curious about what was inside. Taking a look inside, the merman finds a bunch of different candies, a clean set of boxers, and a towel. He'd seen them before when Gabriel use to come and visit but the underwear and the towel confused him. A look of excitement covers the boy's face as he moves away from Jack and dicing back under the surface.

He swims down to his small little cave and grabs the bag of gummy worms he'd been saving. Swimming back up to the surface, he shows the young Nephilim the bag and then hands it to him when he swims back over to him. "These are really good."

Indigo looks at Jack in confusion as he begins to take off his clothes. When all of his clothes were off but his boxers he jumps into the water and joins the young merman. Swimming slowly over to the merman Jack has nothing but a smile on his face. Indigo, on the other hand, was completely surprised by the boy's actions. But what intrigued him the most was his bare legs and feet.

Grabbing ahold of Jack's left foot he starts to mess with his toes, fanning them out and inspecting his toenails. Not wanting to spook his new friend he lets him inspect his feet curiously. He says, "Those are my toes."

"What do they do?" Indigos' voice shocked Jack. He'd only heard him say one word and it was his name. His voice was crisp and clear and beautiful.

Jack was taken aback by this, he didn't really know how to answer this. So he did the best he could, "Well, they help me keep my balance and they help me walk."

"Hmm." Indigo replies, these things like walking and balance we're so foreign to him.

The young merman releases the boy's toes and swims on the other side. "What's it like?"

"What is what like?" Jack asks, a little confused as to what Indigo was asking.

The fish boy stays quiet for a few seconds until he forms a better question, "What's it like out there in the world?"

"Well, people some people are nice while others are not so much. Sam, Dean, Cas, and Mary are nice. They're my family." Jack tells the boy who's floating next to him.

A puzzled look crosses Indigo's face as he tries to remember if he had a family. Were they looking for him? Did they even care that he wasn't with them? "Family...?"

Jack turns and looks at Indigo who has stopped swimming around and just began to float around on his back. A weird expression covered his face as he looked up at the sky. "I don't think I have one. I can't remember..."

"Well, if you want...I can be your family.." Jack says he moves slightly towards the boy on his back.

Indigo quickly flipped into an upright position and instantly swam over to Jack, excited upon hearing the word "family". "Really?!"

"Yeah!" Jack replies smiling at the energetic merman inches away from his face.

Then Indigo did something that was unlike most merfolk. He reached forward and gave the young half-angel a hug. Most merfolk don't even go anywhere near humans so this interaction between the two was peculiar, very unheard of. This was the start of something unheard of by any hunter or even the mermaids and mermen who lived in the salty waters of the ocean.

A beautiful friendship was in the making..

~~~~~•~~~~~•~~~~~•~~~~~