Sibling Bonding

Luckily I was able to make it home in one piece and unbothered by the craziness that lurks in New York. I seriously need to work on my self-defense skills besides just carrying pepper spray in my coat pocket.

I walked through my front door to find Uncle Thompson cooking something in the kitchen and Flash sitting at the dining table with his blonde hair unkempt and a dirty shirt displaying a few questionable stains. Oh how girls fall to his knees, I'll never understand. He appeared to have a bored expression on his face as he stared at his phone.

"Something smells good," I commented, turning their attention towards me.

Uncle Thompson's face lit up as I neared them. "Thanks! You're Mom is running a little late from her job interview today so I had to make dinner," he said, looking a little unenthusiastic at the pot on the stove. "We'll have to settle for my macaroni and cheese tonight."

"No worries, that's my favorite," I reassured, taking a seat across from Flash. "Soooo..." I started, attempting to finally converse with him more. "Whatcha doing?"

Flash raised his eyes from his phone to meet mine. He didn't seem amused.

"None of your business."

I pursed my lips, "Well if it's anything but school, I could help you with any problems you're having. We are family after all."

He sighed and set down his phone. "Okay, maybe you can help. How do you get a girl who doesn't seem interested in you to become interested?"

"Ooh, you've got a crush?" I teased. "Who is it?"

"If you really want to help then just help, but I'm not telling you who."

I nodded with compliance, "Okay whatever you say." I straightened my posture in the chair, genuinely excited I can talk about something with him. "Well if she isn't showing interest, try asking her questions about herself. Everyone loves being able to talk about themselves."

"Okay...so like I should ask about her day or something?"

"That's a good start, and then just keep asking questions, but don't blow it out of proportion."

Flash leaned back in his chair, seeming content with my advice. Maybe he'll start talking to me more and I can convince him to lay off Peter.

"Et voila!" Uncle Thompson laid a bowl of steaming Mac n' Cheese in front of us. Mine had a ton of pepper sprinkled all over the melted cheese and I think my stomach grumbled. "Jane, you're Mom told me you prefer to have lots of seasoning on it and I didn't want you to hate my cooking," he laughed off.

I smiled up at him, "She's definitely right, thank you so much."

And then I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket. I took it out and unlocked my lock screen to see that Peter texted me.

Peter: Hey Jane! I'm so sorry you had to walk home by yourself. Anyways, I was wondering if you would want to give me some tips on how to get more in shape tomorrow after school. Lmk :)

I completely forgot about our plan of working out together. But honestly, he doesn't even need to get in better shape from what I can tell. It's not like I've seen him shirtless or anything (I wish) but maybe we can work on his reflexes...

"Why are you smiling at your phone?" Flash asked.

My head wandered up to see him leaning over the table to take a peek at my phone and I immediately pulled my phone to my chest.

"Nothing," I sharply responded.

He crossed his arms, "Oh yeah, you're definitely talking to a dude."