The House That Built Me

House that built

I sat on the concrete steps, contemplatingt what I would say to the people who owned the house I grew up in. Suddenly a car pulled into the driveway and a women, maybe my mother's age, along with a boy my age stepped out. They glanced at me in confusion, I instantly stood up.

"Hi ma'am, I'm Jacklyn." She gave me a warm smile and shook my hand.

"Nice to meet you Jacklyn-" her son cut her off.

"Why are you here?" Her mother glared at her son, "don't be rude." She turned back to me, "Though, I was wondering the same thing."

I smiled, "of course." I sighed, "I know they say, you can't go home again, but I had to come back one last time." Her jaw dropped open, "this was your house?" I nodded and gestured to the steps.

"Ma'am I know you don't know me, but these handprints on the front steps are mine." I continued gesturing inside.

"Up those stairs in that little back bedroom, is where I did my homework and learned to play guitar. I bet you didn't know under that old oak my favorite dog is buried in the yard."

"Oh wow, but that still doesn't explain why your here?"

"I thought if I could touch this place of feeling, I think it's about time I started feeling again, as broke as I was. Out here its like I'm someone else, I thought that maybe I could find myself. If I could just come in I swear I'll leave, won't take nothing but a memory of the house that built me."

"Oh my gosh! Of course dear, and I would love to hear about the history of the house, maybe even your story, we could look through the house and then have some coffee?" Her son rolled his eyes.

"I apologize my mother is over friendly...Im Max by the way..."

"Oh my! My name's Ella by the way. And my husband Jake, happens to be on a business trip!" She sighed, "Springsteen..."

Max rolled his eyes again, "my mom and dad are love sick monsters. Lets get the tour started." He clapped his hands.

Later...

"My momma cut out pictures for years, from better homes and garden magazines. Plans were drawn, concrete poured, nail by nail, board by board, Daddy gave life to momma's dream."

Ella sighed, "awwwwww are they still alive?" I nodded excitedly.

"There names are Caroline and Jake...also...ha" (Sorry peeps I wrote kissed me way before Springsteen and forgot lol)

"Oh that's so funny...why did they move?" She questioned ecstatically.

"Cooper, my brother, and I moved on to college, they wanted to down size even though they are still young. I'm twenty three, he's nineteen." She nodded and gestured for me to continue.

"Anyway, when you leave home and move on you do the best you can. I got caught in a bad relationship and forgot who I am. I thought if I could touch this place of feeling as broken as I am it's time I start healing. Out here its like I'm someone else I thought that maybe I could find myself."

"Oh my...well did this help?" I smiled at her, "yeah it did."

A few hours later...

"It was nice meeting you dear, come visit!" I laughed. Her son entered the doorway and looked down on us, I met his warm glance.

"Where are you stayin'?" He questioned.

I smiled thinking of the warm company that awaited me, "You ought to know them this is a small town. I'm staying with Taylor and Jackson Reed." His mouth dropped open and he gaped.

"That guy is my best friend! One time I actually kinda got engaged while he was there...we were only sixteen." I gave him the best 'WTH' look.

"Yeah...the girl was crazy, she told me she loved me after two hours , and I told her I loved her after a few beers, one breakup and a few slaps...she now resides in a mental center." I was rolling on the floor, and realized his mother was gone.

"That summer Jackson went to ocean city with his other friend Percy and they both fell in love." I nodded knowing the story.

"So? Wanna go out some time?" He asked out if nowhere. My jaw dropped and I stuttered, what was I suppose to say? I don't why but a second later I said...

"Why not?"

To Be Continued...

-Jackson and Percy are from Dancing Away From My Heart...

-Ella and Jake Springsteen

-Max from paradise dashboard

-Caroline and Jake kiss me or not...along with Jacklyn and Cooper