Chapter 26: Unbelievable

I didn't like her.

The first time I saw her, I didn't like her. He ruined an important meeting with my prospective client.

The second time I saw her, she was dressed up and looked beautiful but still, I didn't like her.

I never wanted to do any business with her since she was the reason why I lost a million peso deal with that client. But what could I do? The universe has its way of bringing people together. Attorney Gonzaga was a respected friend of my grandfather. I didn't want to turn him down that was why I hired Attorney Lee. My plan was to keep her for a short time. Well, you couldn't blame me, because she was the one who gave me that bad impression about her. She was the one who ruined her reputation to me.

The longer I was in this business, the more I became vigilant of the people I dealt with. My grandfather taught me to avoid things that could possibly ruin things I built. That was why I avoided her. 

Apparently, she has a lot of luck in this world because everyone seems to like her. Geneva was so fond of her the first time she met attorney. To the point that she begged Ralph to ask me to offer her a corporate job. Who was I to decline a very good deal? I pursued her until she finally said yes to my job offer then I made sure she would stay in the job for at least six weeks. I was just being nice to her, so she would not think of leaving, at least not yet. But things had gone out of control because she fell in love with me.

I never thought that would happen. All I wanted was to make her stay and never did it cross my mind to make her fall for me. I was not that kind of man. I didn't make her fall for me especially if I had no plans of catching her. I actually didn't realize my actions until attorney told me. My mom also noticed my actions when she asked me that day she came to my office.  I  was not sure when she asked me, but I just said yes to my mom, so she would not give much attention to Attorney Pascua. I knew my mom, she could be very nosy at times. But maybe my mom was right —I did flirt with her. I was just not aware but probably I did. I went overboard in pursuing her that she had mistaken my actions into something deep.

Napailing ako as I remembered what happened a day before we left for Batanes. I got a call from my head lawyer, Attorney Lucas. He told me that he was sick, and Attorney Pascua would take over his place. I felt so uneasy after that phone call. I did not know why. The next day, the flight was not until 7:30am, but I was already there in the private airport of mine around 6:30am. The truth was, I did not know if I should go down and wait for her inside or just stay in the car and  had  her wait for me in there. I could not decide, so I made an excuse to my personal driver to park first cause we were too early.

It was 7:15 when I decided to go inside. A staff welcomed and assisted me to the jet. Nung una nakikinig lang ako sa sinasabi niya, but when she mentioned that Attorney Pascua was already waiting inside the jet, I felt uneasy again. To be honest, since the day she was so mad at me, I did not know how to face her. I felt so sorry for her that I did not want to face her, but I hated myself more because I kept wanting to see her. Why? I still did not know why.

Pagpasok ko ng jet, I saw her sitting comfortably in my usual spot. She greeted me with a wide smile. I was surprised how happy she was like nothing happened. I even looked at her face in curiousity. Napahawak pa siya sa pisngi niya maybe she was curious of why I was looking at her face. Pero masaya ako na masaya na siya cause if not, I would be so guilty the whole trip.

Naupo na ako sa upuan na kaharap niya. I was not comfortable in that spot because I preferred the chair facing the back of the plane, but I had to deal with it kasi ayoko mawala ang ngiti sa mga labi niya. She really did look comfortable in that chair of mine. There is something in her smile that gives me peace, and I want to keep that peace. I just hope that someday she smiles because of me. Wait, what did I just think?? I shook my head. Ito na naman ako. I had this kind of thought again.  Few minutes later, napatingin ako sa kanya from my laptop. She was sleeping so peacefully. I did not know why I stood up and went near her.