PROLOGUE

How many people have you killed with your own hands and have died within your touch?

Is it one?

More than two?

None?

How lucky of you to not choose someone's end and how unfortunate of me to be in that position.

Being the most powerful is not the easiest. It's not something to be wished for. I never wish for it. It just happened to be knocking at my door, begging me to use it. Pleading for my attention.

Have I become a sinner for abusing it?

It doesn't matter. Nothing really matters when you're on the other end of a double-edged sword.

Nothing really matters when you're going to kill somebody just because you have the power to do so.

But I never wanted this power to begin with. It was inflicted in me. I am force to do this. To kill without mercy.

This kill is legal. I won't be punish even if I pull the trigger but how come I feel so guilty, so bad about it? I feel so hurt just by thinking of it.

Oh, maybe because I will be killing one of the most valuable person in my life and not just a somebody. How forgetful of me!

It's never easy to take someone's life. What more killing your own best friend?

This got to be a joke. Even if it wasn't funny, I'll take a ridiculous joke rather than to kill somebody in any day!

I'm an unfortunate case. With or without power, I'll stay that way.

How many times did you let yourself die?

I have died multiple times. I've known the feeling of death for so long that I yearned for it. Yet it doesn't seem to be coming my way at any moment. Not now. Not never.

I died when she begged me to do what I have to do in order to be saved. I died looking at everyone in here that begged me to be spared. I died a little more as I saw how the hope in her eyes disappear as I pointed the end of the gun at her.

Death is my only salvation. And it's killing me that death is no longer an enemy to dread but a saving grace leading me somewhere better than this.

To breathe but to be unable to feel alive is such a cruel feeling. Living in a heavy but empty body is suffocating. It kills me in a deliberately slow process. Torturing me more with the feeling of being alive but not living at all.

A living corpse.

All I wanted was to be free but I guess it's too much to ask for. All I wish for is to be able to do everything that I wanted, everything that makes me feel happy. I guess this is what I have to pay for wanting something beyond my grasp.

I was so lost in searching for freedom that I hadn't realized that it was what's caging me... caging us.

As I stood over her with all the pride and courage left in me, time seems to move too slow. Her eyes that were filled with defiance, now softened with acceptance for what is inevitable.

There's no doubt that fate casted its cruel hands on me. On us. Our destiny doesn't have to be this bad.

But it is, nonetheless.

As I watched her meters away from me, with her hands bound together, kneeling on the floor. I then wonder. When will this war end? When will I be able to look at her the same way as before?