AN

AN: The detailed list of symbolism used in this story.

Contrapasso is inspired by Dante's Inferno. The first of 3 poems that make up Dante's Divine comedy. Inferno, Purgatorio, Paradiso.

Contrapasso is also the main theme in Inferno and refers to the punishment of souls by a process either resembling or contrasting with the sin itself.

Charon refers to the ferryman that brings the recently deceased across the river Styx.

The hotel's 9 floors and grounds represent the 9 circles of Hell.

The grounds and the 1st floor = Limbo (All the marble busts and paintings in the maze and in the lobby are of people who can be found in Limbo in Inferno. The Latin phrase on the maze is also one that appears in the original story as it sits above the entrance to Hell.)

2nd floor = Lust (This houses the nightclub and ballroom)

3rd floor = Gluttony (This houses the restaurant and lounge/bar)

4th floor = Greed (This houses the casino. The painting of Richard the 3rd hangs here because he allegedly killed his own nephews out of greed for the throne.)

5th floor = Wrath (This houses the gym and spa)

6th floor = Heresy (This houses the Library. The paintings on the walls there are all of known people considered heretics by the church.)

7th floor = Violence (In this part of Hell murderers and tyrants are immersed in Phlegethon, a river of boiling blood and fire. Hence why Quintin was burned in his room.)

8th floor = Fraud

9th floor = Treachery (This houses the indoor pool. The bust of Brutus is here because he stabbed Caesar in the back)