one || why try?

✧    ✦    ✧

✧    ✦    ✧

"I told you it was gonna be dangerous, Jug."

As Jughead laid on the couch in his dad's trailer, Betty was carefully putting bandages on Jughead. Earlier that day, Jughead got into a pretty rough fight and Betty warned him, knowing it wasn't a good idea to get involved.

"I know, I know." He says, rolling his eyes while letting out a sigh. The beanie-wearing boy already knew Betty alerted him about what would happen, but didn't care in the moment.

"I was gonna get my ass whooped either way." He told the blonde, her small laugh lit up the room.

Their heads turned towards the door of the trailer as it creaked open, revealing a small figure. "Here's that burger you asked for Jones." The girl says, slamming the bag from Pop's onto the countertop as she sat down.

She took off her leather jacket, looking over at the two, mainly gazing at her friend's girlfriend. "Is it bad?" She asks the blonde, who turned around and was still curious to who she was.

"What?" The blonde replies.

"Uh, Jughead..how is he?" She snaps out of her gaze, now worried about her friend's condition.

"He's pretty lucky if I'm being honest." Betty tells the girl, getting up from her spot. "Who are you?"

The serpent with no name stood up, walking towards the blonde. "Toni Topaz, I'm guessing you're Be-"

"Betty Cooper." She says, pulling out her hand for the girl she'd just met.

The pink-haired girl laughs as she shook her hand. "I've heard a lot about you. Jones' a lucky guy." Toni tells her, making Betty blush a bit.

"Oh, hey Toni." Jughead greets, shifting to sit up on the couch. Toni salutes over to Jughead, her eyes making their way back to Betty.

"I'll leave you guys to it." She says, grabbing her jacket on the way out. "Nice meeting you Betty." The blonde smiles before the serpent girl left the trailer.

Betty shifts her attention towards Jughead, who at the moment looked annoyed. "What?"

"She has to hit on every girl she sees." Jughead says from the kitchen, making Betty laugh.

The blonde runs over to him, wrapping her arms around her boyfriend from behind. "Looks like someone's jealous." She says playfully, smiling as Jughead turned around.

"Well I have to be. I have the hottest girl all to myself." He tells her, causing Betty to blush.

"And that girl will always be yours." She says, pecking his lips as her arms were around his neck, her head resting on his heart.

✧    ✦    ✧

"Cooper!"

"Yes?" The blonde was snapped out of her thoughts, now focusing on what Principal Weatherbee was telling her.

Along with Jughead, they were writing about a very touchy subject for the Blue and Gold and of course they needed approval. They've before but have been warned to ask for approval first before going any further with publishing. Since Jughead currently attends Southside High, he was never credited for his writing for the Blue and Gold. Earlier on, he insisted helping Betty write for the Blue and Gold and has been happy with that decision ever since.

"Ms. Cooper, I'm afraid we can't allow this-"

"Mr. Weatherbee, we're not kids anymore. You can't hide the news nowadays from us, we're in high school. There's only a short amount of time before we graduate. Don't you think we should be informed about things happening locally in Riverdale?"

Betty attempts to persuade the principal, leaving him in his chair with an interesting face. A face showing consideration? Hope? Whatever it was, the blonde found a way to publish her now approved story, letting others know about the dark secrets the town has been hiding.

With that being said, Betty shared the great news to Jughead, only getting his face washed with sorrow and fear.

"Jug, what's wrong?" Her voice full of concern as she took the seat across from him.

After a long moment of silence, he finally found the words to answer his girlfriend's question. "The Serpents...they're transferring here tomorrow."

"That's great! You'll get to be here and we can work on the Blue and Gold together, you can get credit since now you'll be a student here and-"

As happy as that sounds, Jughead was too focused on the downside.

"But the Serpents here...at our school? That's not a good mix Betty. The last thing I want is for them to be here with us and you getting hurt." He admits, leaving Betty to scoff.

"Worried about me? I should be worried about you. Hell, I am!" Betty argues, letting out a huff.

"Jug, I can take care of myself, but recently you clearly haven't shown that you can't even handle yourself."

"Betty, it was one time!"

The blonde gets up from her seat, staring deeply into Jughead's eyes. She was furious and full of anger as she rose up, shouting back at Jughead.

"The one time that I've been aware of! From what Toni has said, it doesn't sound like a one time thing to me!"

Jughead rolls his eyes before getting up, heading towards the door. Betty immediately felt terrible for yelling and attempted to make up for acting out. Her dark side had been out of control, but she's been through a lot these past few days.

"Jug wait!" She says, following with a sigh as she turned around. Jughead shifted his attention towards Betty, waiting for her to speak.

"Look, I'm sorry, but I really care about you, okay? I just..I don't like being handled like a baby. I can take care of myself and if you can't understand that.."

The beanie-wearing boy walked out of the room before the blonde could even finish her statement.

"Why do I even try?"

✧    ✦    ✧