two || give him space

✧ ✦ ✧

✧    ✦    ✧

✧ ✦ ✧

"Hello?"

Betty knocked on the Jones' trailer door once more, attempting to apologize for what she did earlier to Jughead. She heard the sound of the knob twisting from the inside, a figure stood in front of her but it wasn't who she was expecting.

"Mr. Jones!" She says excitedly, still in shock.

"Betty! What are you doing here?"

"I was actually looking for Jughead. Is he home?"

"Nope. Last time I saw him, he said he was hungry though."

Betty nods with a small laugh, but not surprised this time. "I think I know where to find him." She says, thanking Mr. Jones before heading off.

✧ ✦ ✧

"Did you really have to interrupt my shift?"

Jughead put on his jacket as the two of them walked out of the lit-up diner. It was another dark night in Riverdale and only few people were out at this time.

"Yes, I really did." She says, annoyed with Jughead's attitude. "But I wanted to-"

"Apologize? That's what I thought." He says, scoffing under his breath.

"I didn't have to Jug, you don't have to be an asshole about it!" She yells, letting out a small sigh before looking down at her shoes. "He never gives me a chance."

The beanie boy kept on walking forward, leaving the blonde behind in the cold by herself as she turned back around to the diner. The bell rang as she entered for the second time that night, but this time alone.

Betty rested at the farthest booth from the diner's entrance, lonely as she drank a strawberry milkshake. She thought over the past situation with her and Jughead as tears flowed down her cheeks, but she knew that it was best to keep her mind off of it.

A perfect distraction came in, almost as if it were scripted. As many people passed by her booth, this one had stayed. The pink-haired girl hovered over the blonde's table, giving her a light smile.

"Mind if I sit?"

Betty shook her head, cracking a smile as Toni took a seat across from her. The serpent sighed, letting a hand run through her hair as she focused on the light's reflection off the table.

The blonde looked over at Toni, sensing something was wrong. Betty remembered from the last time she'd seen her, she seemed different.

"What's wrong?" Betty asks, breaking what seemed like never ending silence between the two of them.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, why haven't you flirted with me yet?"

Toni couldn't help but laugh before staring up at the blonde beauty who sat in front of her. Eventually, the silence grew again until Toni had gotten the courage to tell her. "My uncle...he's dying."

"Toni, I'm so sorry, I didn't know I-"

"It's fine I just..I didn't think that.."

"Hey..." Betty placed a hand on top of hers, gazing up at Toni. "He's gonna be okay."

Toni nods, her eyes watered but she didn't dare to let tears fall down. She quickly glanced at their hands before pulling away gently.

"Enough about me." The serpent says with a small laugh, glancing over at Betty. "Why are you here alone?"

Betty sighs before answering. "Well Jughead and I...we haven't been on the same page recently." She starts as Toni listened, arms crossed over her chest while leaning back comfortably in the booth. "It's stupid but..."

"But what?" Toni asks, begging the blonde to continue.

"The serpents...you guys are moving to our school and Jughead didn't like the idea as much as I thought he would."

"Why wouldn't he? He's finally closer to you! I swear he's always complaining about not being able to be around you 24/7." Toni says, making Betty laugh.

"Well I guess that's changed." Betty looks down at her hands as conversation went on around them.

"Give him space. Trust me, it works."

"And why would I do that?"

"When Jughead first joined the serpents, he was mad at me for putting him in his place. All I was trying to do was be a guide for him, but he didn't want my help. Gave him some space and as time went by, we became close again."

Betty sipped on her milkshake before replying. "I'll try it." She says, earning a smile from Toni. "It'll work, I promise."

The serpent slid out of the booth and faced Betty. "See you tomorrow?" Betty nods, giving her a smile before she left.

"Give him space."

✧    ✦    ✧