CHAPTER ELEVEN

"Have a blessed day mr.degrate." The nurses chanted as I walked out the doors into the cold winter air, drawing my hoodie over my head. I called for a taxi and made my way to the airport for my flight.

10:30am.
The plane ride to Virginia wasn't that long but a nigga was tired leaving hell as early as 8:00.

10:45am.
Somebody white baby keep kicking my fucking chair I'm finna chuck it out the window and hand him to god personally.

11:00am.
This plane stink.

11:15am.
Ugh.

11:16am.
This food taste like water.

11:20am.
Finally some good fucking food.

11:35am.
They took my plate...oh we Landin.'

I hopped off the plane with my duffle and looked around my state for a bit before catching ANOTHER (I can't wait til I get my cars back) taxi. After a long ass drive we made it to the firm, and that mfer is noiceeeee big money but not like mine. I made my way in and all the bougee lil white people started eyeballing me.

"Can we help you?" One woman said I nodded and walked over to the desk.

"My name is Donald and I'm here to see mrs. Carmichael." The woman scrunched up her face and stared at me looking back at her co-worker.

"One minute." She grabbed her phone and dialed signaling me to go sit in the waiting area. It took all of 45 minutes and the place closing for them to look at me and say.

"Mr.carmichael will see you."
Mister?

I was taken to the back, and seated in a big ass room, with a even bigger chair. I looked around, saw pictures everywhere, of her parents, and her as a kid. One picture caught my eye, she was about 15 braces, and in her little ballerina fit..thank god for ballerinas cause boy is she flexible.

"Devanté." I heard a deep ass voice speak behind me scared my dumbass I almost shit.

"G-god?"

"Boy sit down." The voice spoke again and I sat, y'all better listen to god y'all. I looked up at the giant ass 7'199 man who then took his own seat staring into my soul.

"Mr.carmichael?"
"We finally meet."
"I- I is that why you shut the office down? Look if you finna kill me-"
"Devanté I have no ill will toward you."
"You don't?"
"No. Although it broke me knowing my little girl was gone, I knew she was happy, and safe with you."

That guilt hit me like a damn dump truck instantly all that goofy shit went out the window.

"Listen mr.carmichael, I love your daughter but I haven't been the perfect man, I had problems and I hurt her countless of times, there are days I wish I would've just left her alone maybe she'd be a doctor, or a dancer, I don't know but she inspired me to get better, he a better man, I just got out of rehab, my mind is right and we plan on getting married once I'm back in North Carolina I just couldn't do it without y'all permission you know? My daddy a preacher and he taught me that before you marry a woman you gotta get the parents blessing."

His hand grazed his chin and he nodded with a slight but firm smile.
"I know."
"You know?"
"I know your father devanté, I'm aware of everything that's happened, I just wanted to see how long it would take for you to come to me as a man."

The man stood from his chair and looked out the window which showed all of the city, I stood beside him in confusion.

"Who do you think got those men locked up for robbing you?" My eyes shot up at him and he chuckled. "You're a good kid Donald, a good kid with great intentions, you just have demons, We all do."

It took me a while to speak again but when I did the conversation took a turn I didn't think I was ready for.

"Mrs.carmichael.."
"She's dead, stage 4 cancer, We found out before you came around. The day of the recital that you made her miss? Was the day we were going to tell Trinity."

I felt my heart fall to my ass, I stood there in complete silence feeling nothing but guilt take over my body.

"Donald. You were a blessing to Trinity none the less."
"But I don't understand..how? I took her away I hurt her, i hurt you , your wife.."
"You taught my daughter sacrifice, love, pain, and most importantly, family. You may not realize it now but you will in the future. With that, you have my blessing."

I stood in total shock of the conversation at hand.

"Donald?"
"Sir?"
"Be a great husband, a man under god, don't ever let your pride over power your duties as a man of god."
"I won't sir. I promise."
"Good. My bags are packed, and under my desk, let's go back to see my baby girl and granddaughter."
He walked out the room without a single damn bag in his hand- I guess I DO kind of owe him..I picked up the two leather suitcases and damn near fell over..the fuck in here his whole house??  One by one I threw each bag in the trunk of the taxi and we made it back to the airport.

No rest, non stop traveling, I'm cold.
Nevaeh just gonna have to damn wait.
I'm tied.
We ended up finding a hotel and resting there for the rest of the day, the rest of this week? Finna be a lot. I need all my rest.