Prelude

Shen Yue would have continued running if possible

Shen Yue would have continued running if possible. But she had to stop because she felt her lungs would explode from lack of air.

Plus, she really couldn't see where she's going because her eyes are clouded with tears that keep on coming out it felt like a dam had broken from inside of her.

She felt her knees give way and she let herself fall to the ground, sobbing harder.

Because that's all she can do for now. Everything doesn't make sense.

Crying is the only thing that makes sense.

Moments ago, she was bursting with happiness. She just won in the ladies' singles category of the Chinese Figure Skating Championships and will finally be able to participate in The China Cup. Something she has been working for almost all her life.

But her happiness has been reduced to nothingness when she witnessed how all this time, her boyfriend has been cheating on her.

With her best friend.

She doesn't even know how she managed to stay calm during all of it when all she wants to do is to scream at both of them, hurl invectives and hurt both of them physically just to somehow compensate for the extreme pain she's feeling.

The next moment she finds herself running away from them. From the cruelty of it all.

She had to get away because she doesn't want to give them the satisfaction of seeing her cry.

They have hurt her enough. She won't let them see her defeated and suffering.

***

Wang He Di is having the best and worst day of his life.

Mingde Ducks just won the China American Football League (CAFL) University Championships.

He was declared the MVP and he has the chance to enter the CAFL Draft.

He's able to maintain high grades despite being busy with football and with his social activities.

And his relationship with his long-time girlfriend who's the cheerleading captain and also the most beautiful girl in Mingde has never been better.

Or so he thought.

Until tonight.

Their university is having the bonfire celebration to honor the Duck's football team's championship and they're with everyone celebrating when his girlfriend excused herself to go to the restroom.

She had been gone for a while and he thought she was just caught up chatting with friends. She's very popular.

Her phone had been going off like crazy and at first, Didi ignored it. Besides, it has been their unspoken rule not to read each other's messages. Out of respect. And it's the right thing to do. Not to mention that they trust each other immensely.

Didi looked around but he can't see LiMei anywhere. So he decided to take a look at her phone just in case it's an emergency. She left her phone unlocked.

Whatever he's expecting he'll read, it's not this.

Totally not this.

"Hi,  babe. What time will you be done? I've been missing you big time. And please answer your phone. Ditch Didi already!"

The message was from Guowei.

The captain of the basketball team.

That bastard.

Didi had to muster all his self-control not to throw a fit right then and there.  When he saw LiMei approaching, he threw her phone at her and then walked away from the celebration.

From her.

From everyone.

LiMei ran after him and prevented him to leave saying she wants to explain and it's not what he thinks.

Didi stopped and in his most venomous voice said, "Let go of me. I am trying my best to control myself. Please. If you don't want to be exposed as a lying, cheating witch. You better let go of me now."

He hid in the football team's locker room until he has calmed down enough. He tried crying but he couldn't.

All he feels like doing is to scream until he can't anymore. And punch someone until they bleed.

He decided to take a walk in the field when he thought he saw someone slumped in the middle of it. He couldn't be sure so he decided to check who it is.

He determined it was a girl when he was near enough. And he's also nursing a broken heart but he couldn't help but take pity on the girl.

Her sobs are just heart wrenching.

He carefully approached her and when she lifted her head and faced him, he was surprised to see her expression.

She looked so broken and defeated and Didi felt he's looking at a mirror.

Because that's exactly how he's feeling.

Totally and completely broken.

"Are you okay?" As soon as he said those words he realized it was stupid. Of course, she's not okay.

"Sorry. I saw you from a distance and I thought I should check on you. It's dark here and you're all alone."

"Don't worry I'm not a bad guy. I am..."

"You are Wang He Di. I know you." Yue said.

She accepted his proffered hand and he helped her to stand up.

"Don't look so surprised that I know you. You're popular on the campus. And thank you. Sorry, I'm a mess. I'm Shen Yue by the way." Yue said while she's wiping the tears on her face.

Didi smiled shyly at Yue. "Please call me Didi. Sorry I don't have a handkerchief with me. But it's nice to meet you, Yue. I just hope we could have met under different circumstances. Let's take a walk?"

They have covered a few distances when Didi tried to strike a conversation. "Uhm. I hope I'm not intruding or anything but you can tell me what made you so distraught. I am a total stranger to you and you know sometimes it's easier to tell things to a stranger."

Yue considered his offer for a minute. And soon she found herself spilling her heart out to Didi. While they continued walking.

By this time, they were nearing the school's parking lot. They stopped when they reached Yue's car.

"Thank you so much for listening Wang He Di. It made me feel a bit better."

Yue is already preparing to drive away when Didi stopped her as an idea suddenly came to him.

The night ended with them shaking hands to seal a deal. Never knowing that it would affect their lives more than what they had anticipated.

And in the near future, one of them will be broken again.

Probably more so than they are at this moment.

***************

A/N:

I will see you all soon 😊

~toni~