Chapter 4

Yue can't count how many times she considered just going back home before she finally decided to alight from her car and walk to class

Yue can't count how many times she considered just going back home before she finally decided to alight from her car and walk to class. She was so confident earlier and was determined to go to school on her own but as she neared the university, all her bravado was gone.

She now regrets not accepting Meiyun's offer to carpool. Or Didi's offer to pick her up. Yue was afraid he would insist on meeting her parents again like what he did last night when he brought her home. 

Yue thought it was odd that Didi turned off the engine before he went out of the car to open the door for her. She already said her thanks and was fishing for her keys when she sensed that someone was behind her. She was startled to see that Didi is still there since she was expecting him to be back inside his car already.

"Why are you still here?" she asked puzzled.

"I'm coming with you," Didi said casually.

"Uhm. Okay. Why?"

"I want to meet your parents."

"YOU WANT TO MEET MY PARENTS? WHY?" Yue was now in a bit of a panic.

"You told me I should court you. And I told you that we will do this the right way. So the first step is to meet your parents and ask for their permission."

Yue stepped back a bit and stared at Didi."No. Didi, please don't forget that we are just pretending. When I said you need to court me, what I meant was we have to put a good show in school. So there's no need to meet my parents. I will introduce you to my best friend though. And to some of my teammates, I guess. Let's leave my parents or your parents out of this. Okay?"

It was Didi's turn to stare at her. "But I still think it's better if I court you formally at home. What if we're hanging out let's say in a mall one day and your parents or probably your relatives saw us together? What will they think?"

"Wait. Wait. Let's not get ahead of ourselves okay? I really appreciate everything you have done for me but I don't want to overburden you. Besides, we won't have much opportunity to hang out since I'll be busy with skating practice. And you will be occupied with football."

Yue was thankful that Didi did not pursue the matter further. And panicked as she was, she can't help but smile. Wang He Di may be known as a cool, snob heartthrob on campus. But he is a very sweet guy too.

***

As Yue made her way to her classroom, her heartbeat was so loud, it was deafening. She knows it's irrational to be afraid. Or to hide. She was the aggrieved party. She's not the one who cheated. But she can't help but feel that way. She froze when she saw Dudu standing outside their classroom. It had been their practice to wait for each other outside their room. She just didn't expect that she would still keep up to it.