[ 1 ] edge of eighteen

"Girls, come on, you're gonna be late!"

Lyla and I groaned, rolling over in bed as Chelsea's voice traveled up the stairs.

"Tessa Marie and Lyla Grace, let's go!" Chelsea shouted again, to which we furrowed our eyebrows.

"She used our middle names," Lyla whispered, her dark brown hair sticking out of her messy bun in all of the wrong places.

"She means business," I said, sarcastically, but flipped the covers off of me and stood up, running my fingers through my hair. "Come on, get dressed."

Lyla continued to groan as she dragged herself out of my bed.

I walked over to my mirror and took my hair out of its braid, letting it fall around my shoulders in loose waves. My makeup was very minimal and easy, only consisting of mascara, lip gloss, and my eyebrows.

Lyla, on the other hand, used a full face of products, as always. Out of the two of us, she was the more stylish, girly one, and I was the simple tomboy, and it had been like that since we were four years old.

Today, I decided to try and dress a little bit nicer than normal. I pulled on a pair of medium wash skinny jeans, along with a forest green sweater with a baby v-neck and balloon sleeves. As I tugged on my black Chelsea boots, I surveyed Lyla's outfit. She wore a light washed denim mini skirt, with a white cropped long sleeve, and a maroon cardigan. On her feet were my black leather knee high boots, layered over a pair of cream colored tall socks.

"Approved?" She questioned, twirling around with a smile and her hands on her hips.

"As always." I smiled, and stood up, slinging my backpack over my shoulder.

We walked downstairs, and into the kitchen. My sister, Chelsea, was sitting on the island, with a cup of coffee in one hand and her iPad in the other.

"Any word on my baby yet?" I asked, hopefully, addressing my 2002 Jeep Wrangler that had gone into the repair shop a few days before.

"She should be out of surgery and ready for pickup this afternoon." Chelsea informed me. "I'll be working late tonight so we're just gonna have to pick her up tomorrow, okay?"

"But I have that interview at Spellman tonight." I argued, pouring myself a cup of coffee into my travel mug. "You know, the one for college, and a scholarship." I put emphasis on two important words.

"I'd offer but I have that glee club event tonight," Lyla sighed. "Maybe you can take an Über?"

"Chelsea doesn't trust Übers."

"I don't trust Übers."

We said in unison, our heads whipping in each other's direct to make eye contact.

"Creepy," Lyla murmured, grabbing a banana from the fruit bowl. "Actually, maybe my dad could take you."

"That's not a bad idea, Tess. I'll call Chris when I get to work." Chelsea smiled and stood up, kissing the side of my head. "I gotta run, call me later, okay?"