[6] everything i wanted

As we approached the high school, Chris shifted the car in reverse after he pulled through the back gate of the football field

"You stay here." He demanded, and got out of the car, walking towards the group of teenagers about a hundred yards away.

I waited eagerly, my knee shaking with anxiety. I hoped she was okay. I was so stupid to leave the party to be with Jesse. And for what? To find out that he had a wife? No, sorry. A baby mama.

I pulled my phone out and replied to Chelsea's thousand text messages. She wasn't normally an overbearing mama bear, but I could tell just by the way she sounded over text, she was not happy with me.

Chelsea
You left your best friend alone with a guy you barely know, Tessa

Chelsea
With ALCOHOL around!

Chelsea
Do you even understand what could have happened?

Chelsea
When you get home we're having a serious discussion about drinking.

Chelsea
At least text me back so I know you're okay.

Chelsea
Chris is here and is flipping out. Where are you?!

I quickly texted her back to make sure she knew I was with Chris and alright. I sighed and got out of the car after Chris hadn't returned for a few minutes, wrapping my arms around myself and eventually reaching the group of kids.

Chris was in the middle, talking to a few of them as the others stood around anxiously. His uniform made him intimidating. It was clear.

"I'm not gonna bring any of you in, I'm looking for Lyla Hammond." He sighed, and it seemed like he'd repeated himself many times.

"Look, man, we already told you, her and Sullivan were here about an hour ago, and then they left. Not sure where they went." A boy who I've known since preschool spoke to Chris, folding his arms across his chest.

"Chris, lets go, she isn't here." I spoke up, lightly grabbing his arm.

He turned to face me and frowned.

"Come on." I smiled lightly and we walked back to the car. He got in with an exhausted groan, and ran his fingers through his hair. "Listen, let's head home. Maybe she went back to the house."

Chris furrowed his eyebrows, "That's actually a really smart idea, what the fuck. Of course, she could've gone back home. Jesus."

He shifted the car in reverse and peeled out of the driveway, speeding across town back home. The front door was propped open, and when we got out of the car, he slipped his handgun out of its holster.

"Stay behind me." Chris mumbled, holding his arm out in front of me to hold me back.

I nodded and we stepped inside the house, slowly walking through the front room to the kitchen.