The Beginning of the End

It began, as all life should, with a bang. The stars spreading throughout the universe, planets forming their own systems, galaxies as far as any being could imagine. Lifeforms appearing in on these planets, making a life of their own. Yet there was one planet that was very special, my planet – Orialia. My name is Kai, I am one of the survivors of my homeworld.

Our planet orbits near the center of the known universe. As this turned our atmosphere and physiology, "special" from any other being across the stars. In each of us, we have unlimited energy, wielding it to our daily lives and turning our baron planet into a utopia for us to live. This energy runs through all of us and we wield into in various ways; forming landscapes, manipulating flares in our skies, being able to fly the sky, the possibilities were endless, and our race was 'Glyphs'.

For a time on Orialia, there were disputes of power among the glyphs, yet we were wise and think of our being as a whole and put aside our differences. We advanced our technology and were able to prolong our lifeforce. Atomizing our body in stasis pods and transport them to a remote planet seething with life. Once a lifeform, discovers the pod, the glyph will take over the lifeform and inhabit its memories and stills keep its own memories. They have spread themselves thin all over the universe, keeping contact with home. There was peace among our species... that is until we were forced into annihilation.

War ravaged our planet; an enemy we have never faced before has come to our door. We fought for as long as we could, yet the swarm of enemies ravaged us. We were outnumbered and outmatched. The leaders of our home evacuated everyone off-world, leaving the last of us to fight. I was born into this war; our planet threatened and being encamped for as long as I can remember. The fight erupted in the stars, then suddenly finds itself back home.

One by one, my brethren fall. Until it was only me and one other. We ran for our lives to the last area holding the pods. We were both badly wounded, our energy nearly depleted, what more could we ask for, for our final hours here?

We made our way into the complex, the enemy surrounding us; backing us into a tight corner. We blocked all entrances and made our way to the pods... only to find one. I offer to stay behind, as the eldest, to let the young one go. I'm more wounded than him. I turn to him, dead in the eyes. He closes before he scoffs.

We approach the pod, the walls banging, as the place starts to crumble and the enemy closes in, we're running out of time. I got up on my feet, hold my ground and prepare for my last stand. But suddenly, I feel a tight grip on my shoulder. The young one pushes me into the pod, and sets the coordinates for the last departure, out from the center of the Galaxy.

I bang on the cover, look at him dead in the eyes and demand to open the door, switch places with me. He looks at me and gives me a grin, with tears forming on his eyes.

Young Glyph: "You must live, sir. It is the only way."

He turns away from me, as the enemy bursts open, explosions erupt, lasers and firepower come flying through. The young one holds his ground, returning fire until he was riveted with holes. One of the enemies approaches him. He lays one punch on him but has no effect on him. He turns to the young one and grabs him by the throat; he looks directly at me in the pod.

Enemy: "No more Glyphs."

He says that as he squeezes his neck tight, causing his eyes to bulge, sucking the energy off him, leaving nothing but his remains fading away in the air. He orders the others to burst open the pod. As it rattles, lights flicker inside, and I was propelled off-planet. The enemy watches as the last surviving glyph leaves his home. I look over on their armada, as they decimate the planet.

I hold back my pain and feel my body fading away, disintegrating. As I watch in agony, my homeworld was lost. I have no idea where I am going, nor what planet will I come across. I hope other glyphs all over the galaxy hears the news and rally. My conscious drifts away to the point where I cannot feel anything.

I just hope, that wherever I land, is friendly.