10

"Papa? Can you tell me more about the demon slaying people? The breathing forms? What about how you and mama met?" Zeno stopped swinging the wooden sword for a while, turning to his father who was drinking tea.

"Well.. the demon slaying corps have existed for around a 100 years." Zeno counted and came to the conclusion that, since they were around the beginning of the Edo period, the corps were established in the start of the Sengoku period. His father continued.

"The first generation of breath users have long since passed, but I heard they all had these markings. The first ever user was a sun breath user and all breaths were derived from it. Their descendants are somewhat still known and can be recognized by their earrings. Also the descendants of the original's brothers are known, the Tsugikuni line is still strong.

Your mother is from a branch family of the first ever thunder breathing user, I learned the forms from the current main branch"

Zeno listened as his father talked about various subjects. Mentioning the Ubuyashiki family that always produced the boss of the corps, the kakushi aka clean up crew, and the shinobi and blacksmith villages. Even some Warrior Priests fight Demons religiously.

His father had obviously already planned Zeno's future and how he and Zeuxis would be a part of the corps. Hinoe could possibly be married off in a political move. If someone from their family would become a pillar they would get recognized as the main thunder family and not have to live in a rural village anymore. It was clear his father had himself gave up on trying to become a pillar but he had high hopes for his sons.

Zeno swallowed the bittersweet smile coming up. He was 8 already, 9 next year and that meant he had less than a decade with his family left before his body will stop aging at 17. He wouldn't be able to fulfill those expectations. Wouldn't be able to see Hinoe older than 10 and Zeuxis 12. But damn if he wouldn't try his hardest and make sure his brother would be a pillar.

But he could only give Zeuxis the tools to become a pillar. The rest was up to his resolve.