37

In Zeno's hands is a newspaper.

But not a normal one, no. It was something Zeno personally had sought out just this year, barely published this week in 1871.

The so called first official daily newspaper, Yokohama Mainichi Shinbun. And this copy was now part of Zeno's personal relics. He was going to preserve this piece of history so the future would have a copy in good condition.

Or as in, was. Because it had rained just a few hours ago and the roads were slippery. Kouen and Erimi wanted to go out and had just ran past him.

In the process the 2 kids splashed mud towards him. And even though Zeno did his best to block the dirt with his body it still got onto the precious paper.

All in all, Zeno spent a few minutes mourning the paper. Just now Kotami came out to see what commotion Erimi and Kouen were making outside. She chastises both of them for running and playing around in the slippery ground carelessly. For not paying enough attention to their surroundings.

Kotami pays special attention to Erimi because of the younger girls sickly body. Erimi sticks out her tongue at the older lady in response to the motherly tone. Kouen smiles and tries to subtly stare at his crush.

The 2 children continue playing and Zeno watches with a smile. Kotami sits down on the engawa next to him, watching as Erimi scoops up a small patch of mud and throws it at the elder child.

Kotami's smile fades a little after watching the children's mud war for  a while and she turns her gaze on Zeno.

"Do I even want to know?" She asks in a low tone, making sure the kids won't overhear. Zeno hums a little at the question, and knows rather well what she is asking. However, one can never be too sure.

"What does the lady mean?" His voice is calm, clear and controlled, Kotami sighs in a frustrated tone in response to the tone.

"Your body doesn't match the years you have spent here. Do I want to know why time does not affect you?" Kotami voices.

Zeno knew this was going to come up someday from someone once again. The Ubuyashiki's naturally knew the truth, and Zeno didn't often see other families. But dear Hiryuu does this woman catch on fast. Normally the people Zeno knows don't even think to start wondering after a decade. They just think it normal and ignore his non-aging.

Of course the more intelligent ones wonder and know but they don't ask.

Zeno sighs and in hushed tones, watching the kids mud fight, tells the tale of dragons.