prologue

Sophomore year, Violet Schultz was the star of the East High drama department. She was cast as Gypsy in Gypsy which was the year's musical, which was kind of rare for a tenth grader.

But, when her older brother died from an overdose that spring, Violet fell apart. Her father left them two years before her brother died to the date, so in two years her family abruptly went from four people to three people and then to two people.

The only person who could get her out of bed and feeling like a real person again was her childhood best friend Ricky, who did everything in his power to try and make her feel more like herself. From taking her to the skatepark to sitting through a movie musical on Netflix with her, he did everything he could.

Little did she know, Ricky was going through his own stuff at the time. His parents were steps away from divorcing, and him and his girlfriend were starting to have issues.

Thankfully, with Ricky's help, Violet finally felt enough like herself to go back to school for junior year and to audition for High School Musical. Little did she know, that drama club this year would become a little bit too dramatic, even for self-proclaimed drama queen Violet.

Author's Note: Hi! I decided to write this after watching the first two episodes of HSMTMTS and absolutely falling in love with Ricky's character. Since I have lots more free time since MY drama club's season is over, expect semi-frequent updates! I can't wait to write this and have you guys read it!

❤️Beth