The Beginning

There's a beginning to every one of our stories. Whether your the Fari King, who sits on his high-ass thrown doing nothing but watching those below him be executed at his command. Or, maybe you're a Damon, watching humans work for you for the sake of the Empire. Building giant structures just because the King said so.

Or maybe you're me. You're 17, and stuck in one of your last classes ever. You know your grades don't actually matter, so you don't care. You just sit talking to your best friend in the back of the class. Your hair is black, you wear a tattered and messy red sweater, and jeans that are ripped- not because you bought them that way.

In seven days, my world is ending. Not because it's any truly important day, only June 7th. For anyone younger than me, it's a joyous day. The beginning of Summer vacation. Freedom from awful math classes like this one.

But for me, June 7th is Graduation. You may think Graduation means a big party. Your whole family gathers around and sends you off to bigger and better things and blah blah blah happily ever after.

Well, heads up people, that's not how things work around here. Well, at least not if you're Human. If you're human, you get assigned to some large ominous structure that in some way serves his majesty and never see your family again. And maybe one day you enjoy Parenthood with the man of your dreams.

Oh, yeah, and then you get to see your kids sent off to work until they're 60 years old too. Though, you're probably dead by the time they retire and get to have some life to themselves.

Clove says I think to negatively. That's actually what's he's lecturing me about right now. He's saying that all this impending doom shit I always have going on in my head isn't an excuse for having a 60 in math class as my final grade. He's probably right, but I don't actually care. And so I tell that to him.

"Clove, by actually buying into whatever math BS this Damon teacher is spouting at us, how is it helping? What, is it gonna let me help my little children as they run around their school learning to become little workers. Oh, maybe I can even help them make the reserves someday." I feigned an excited face as I said the last bit.

"Earlene, have you ever considered that it may help you make the reserves?" Clove asked. "It is the one job where we get treated almost equally to the Damons- and get equal time off."

"Clove, have you ever considered that I don't give a fuck about making the reserves because maybe I don't want to fight for their racist, self-loving pieces of garbage they call the King and Queen."

Ah yes, the reserves. Everyone's little gold star that they fight for, as a reward for doing well in classes. You train to go fight on a battlefield in any little uprising or something that may come up that the King wants help with. Humans are basically just used as canon fodder there, because no one actually cares if they die. On top of it, they still don't get to see their families.

"Would you two just shut up?" Allegra, an all green Damon with sharp black nails and big yellow eyes asked. "I can barely hear the teacher over your excessive human whining. Some of us Damons actually want to get into college."

"Then why do you sit in the back and draw in your notepad all the time, Allegra?" Clove asked, smirking a bit.

She blushed as she realized it was Clove speaking to her. She had a crush on Clove that was so apparent it was hilarious. It was probably the real reason she always sat in the back with us, though, she would never admit it. It wasn't like she could marry him anyway, so what was the point.

Even I have to admit, Clove is attractive. He has dark brown hair that, while short, falls sightly in front of his face. He's broad, and has a bit of a tan. He has dark brown eyes that match his hair. Today he's wearing a dark grey hoodie and some baggy jeans. His clothes have always been nicer than mine.

The bell rings, and we are dismissed. Sometimes I feel like Clove hangs around Allegra even more than me. I wonder if he thinks her father can help him get into the reserves. That recommendation would have had to have been written weeks ago now.

"Earlene." My teacher, Mrs. Ventura calls me over. She has red marks all over her skin and in her hair. "May I talk to you for a moment."

I find that she has always been the nicest of my teachers. She's younger, and I think she believes in the Humans in her class, unlike some of our teachers. I approach her, a slight frown on my face.

"You don't try in my class. You never have. And I know you don't, because you at least pass. And you show me, the questions you get right on my Exams are the hardest ones. You really could have made the reserves, you know."

I sighed. "Of course I know. But my two younger brothers... I'm leaving them behind no matter what I do. And I'm losing my mom, too..."

"I understand, sweetie, but had you just-"

"But you don't understand! You get to see your family whenever you want, but I don't. They're tearing us apart, just so you all can live happily doing whatever you want." I didn't even notice the tears at my eyes. Mrs. Ventura had always been like a second mother to me, ever since I started High School. Clove and I always took her classes.

"Sweetheart." She came up to me. Her bright red suit was so familiar to me. She was the only Damon I would miss. "I put in a request for you to become a part of the Janitorial staff here at the school."

I was stunned. She didn't have to do something like that. It may not even go through, but I just hugged her.

"'Earlene the janitor', seems fitting enough." It was Winter and Teddy. They were both twins, and both had Leopard features. She was a snow leopard, and Teddy was normal.

"Go away, Winter." I stepped away from Mrs.Ventura. Looking at the girls. Winter and Teddy smiled at me, both with their teeth that resembled real fangs.

"No. You see, someone carved out "Catty" on my dear sister's locker. So I thought I might carve it into someone's arm." Winter growled.

They stepped closer to me. The pulled out switchblades, which weren't surprising to me. But I wasn't going to go down without a fight this time.

Mrs. Ventura stepped behind her desk to call the school's security. The two girls got ready to fight. One little girl against two cats.

And I'm pretty sure there's no chance I win.