PART IX: Sansa

Sansa was seeing things again. She had just finished dressing when she spotted a hulking figure moving against more average men. He was shrouded in a cloak, a child trailed not far behind. A boy.

When the hooded figure turned toward her window her heart flipped in her chest. She was seeing things for sure, too much mead with breakfast.

Last night she had dreamt of him, she was in the Godswood in Winterfell. The leaves were falling from the trees when she knelt by the water the surface broke and he rose. Naked and unscarred his eyes were warm and calm. When her eyes drifted down his body in his right hand he held a sword, the left cradling a baby. She didn't know what it meant, but when she woke she had tears on her cheeks.

Sandor looked away again, then he looked back. Right at her window, his scarred face unmistakable. She leapt from her perch and flew through the pub and onto the crowded street.

The sea air assaulted her nose he wasn't far ahead but she dare not call out to him. She slowed, wiping away a tear, he could be here to bring her back, she could be running headlong into a trap. Resolved she set her heel to retreat back to the inn when he turned, meeting her eyes. Before she could retreat his toes touched hers, she slowly raised her eyes to meet his afraid of what she would see.

"Not going to run little bird?" the sound of his voice made her skin feel as though a brush was running over her skin. He leaned into her and at that moment realized that at some point she had memorized his face right down to the varying colors criss crossing his scar.

"Not from you." she surprised him when she lept wrapping her arms around his neck, he caught her deftly with one arm. His left hand came to the back of her neck he pulled her back so they were face to face. Sansa couldn't read him but she knew she had never seen his eyes as they were now, scanning her face in disbelief.

"What's this?" Sansa stiffened and the familiar voice. Sandor gently placed her on the ground. When she turned what she saw brought her to her knees. The boy she had seen from her window was not a boy at all.

"Arya" Arya knocked her to the ground embracing her Sansa wept. " I hate you, I hate you." Arya cried while gripping her sister tightly.

"You're making a bloody scene." Sandor lifted them both to their feet and moved them off the main road.

"Who are you with?" Sandors eyes swept the crowd.

"I'm alone" Sansa was still looking at Arya.

" We need to get inside." Sandor couldn't help but think there was something wrong.

"I have a room." Sansa still clinging to Arya dragged her in the direction of the Inn.

"Let go of the boys hand." Sansa looked confused when Sandor ripped Arya away from her and continued ahead of her.

In the Inn Sandor approached the bar, while Sansa continued up the stairs to her room. She was afraid that she would never see either of them again. It felt like hours had passed when there was a knock at her door. Flinging it open without looking she expected to see Arya instead, The Hound ducked into the room.

"How long have you been here?" his voice was gruff.

"Ten days, I am scheduled to sail in four." she still feared him but not in the same way. She watched him pace around the room, looking at her things.

Pushing aside her doubts, she approached him while his back was turned. Placing a tentative hand on his side she turned him.

When their eyes met she inquired. "Why did you want to take me with you when you left Kinglanding."

"Why do you think?" he looked away then back again.

"Tell me." Sansa pushed.

"Your pretty, I thought you would make good company."

"You lie, Dog." Sansas anger took hold.

Sandor spun on her grabbing her by the arms he pinned her against the wall. He gripped her waist and lifted her so they were eye to eye.

She looked momentarily shocked but it pleased him that she quickly regained her composure.

"That's what you told me you were, a Dog that did his masters bidding, who is your master now and why do you have my sister?"

He had her so firmly against the door she couldn't breath, squirming it occurred to her that she wasn't wearing a dress and she deftly wrapped her legs around his waist.

He grunted and stepped back releasing her momentarily so she had to steady herself by holding his shoulder.

Pressing her back against the wall he spoke.

"I have your sister because the runt managed to escape Kingslanding only to be taken captive by the followers of the fucking lord of light." He moved his hands to grip her bottom and Sansa's eyes betrayed her again. Sandor knew this was the most intimate she had been with any man even if they were fully clothed, he knew he should put her down and leave.

"Tywin Lannister made me marry."

"Who did he make you marry?" Sandor growled at her.

"The Imp, Lord Tyrion." she nervously sucked in her cheeks.

She was waiting for him to yell.

"You want to know who my master is?" he whispered.

Sansa nodded her bright eyes never leaving his. "My master is a little bird, who has flown her cage." he inhaled breathing in her scent.