The Aftermath

A week after Cedric de Casé's death, Griselda fired Mistress Auréle. Proceeding this, she forced Mariette to give up her room so that would she have yet another open bedroom for travelers. After that, she took away Mariette's fine jewelry and clothing, including her red grown-up dress. The ring Mariette kept, but only because she was able to hide it before Griselda could find it. She treated Mariette like a maid, and even forced her to treat Charlotte like she was above her. Mariette was not allowed to take her carriage into the city; nor was she even allowed to send post to her old friends. On a cold, stormy day, a month after Cedric de Casé's death, Griselda invited Antonie Merle to their home.

On this day, she allowed Mariette to dress in the nicest clothes she could find, a dress much like the red in that it was laced tightly and low-cut, but this gown was a light blue instead of red, and had tiny white crystals lining the bottom, sleeves, and neckline. Charlotte plaited her hair with a string of jewels to match them, and dabbed her with a faint rose perfume. When Griselda deemed her appropriately dressed, Charlotte led Mariette into the near vacant study, where Monsieur Merle awaited.

His eyes widened fractionally at the sight of her, and he muttered a brief curse in French. "Mariette," he greeted her, and she regretted telling him to call her that. She did not like the sound of it on his voice.

"Antonie," she replied, sitting in the seat across from him.

"I had not thought it possible, but you look even more beautiful than the last time that I saw you. You hair has grown." Again, his eyes drifted to her breasts. "Among other things."

Mariette struggled to hold back the bile that rose in her throat. "I suppose I should thank you for that."

Monsieur Merle smiled. "You are very welcome, Mariette," he said, though it had not exactly been a thank you. He turned to the tray behind them and poured them each a cup of tea. He handed Mariette hers and she took a gingerly sip, wishing that she was anywhere but there.

"Your stepmother tells me that you are eager to marry," he commented absently.

Mariette choked on her tea.

Monsieur patted her back. "Mariette! Are you alright?"

She pushed him away. "Yes, yes, I'm fine, thank you. The tea is a bit strong, that's all." She added a lump of sugar to her cup, despairingly realizing that now she would have to drink it too sweet.

"Mariette," Antonie said intently, and Mariette realized that he was planning to say something important. "I did not come here simply to visit you, though that would have been enough."

"Truly?" Mariette commented, desperately trying to think of a way to leave the room.

"Mariette," he repeated, taking her hands and turning her to face him. "I have come to ask-neigh, to beg-for your hand in marriage."

"Oh!" Mariette gasped. "Monsieur Merle! You cannot mean it! We do not even know each other!"

"True, and I would have liked to court you first, but I cannot travel so far for a few days of company, even yours. If we are married, then we can get to know each other."

Mariette was trying very hard to think of a way to get out of this. "Stay here!" she blurted suddenly. "Just for a few days. So that we can get to know each other. And then I shall decide."

Monsieur Merle opened his mouth to protest, but then Mariette said, quietly, in a voice thick with pleading, "Please, Monsieur. Please Antonie," and he sat back in his chair and sighed.

"I can refuse you nothing, dear Mariette."

Mariette instructed Charlotte to lead Monsieur Merle to a room, but she did not tell Griselda. In the morning, as Griselda still did not know that he was staying in their home, Mariette dressed in her usual maid's outfit. Making sure that she was sufficiently covered with soot, Mariette entered the dining hall, where Griselda was eating her breakfast (Neither of her daughters awoke before noon, on account of their "delicate constitutions", as Griselda put it).

"Child!" Griselda called, beckoning her over. "How did Monsieur Merle take to you? Has he proposed?"

"Oh, Lady de Casé! I almost forgot to tell you! He agreed to stay here for a few days, so that we can get to know each other. I think he was taken to me, Lady, or else why go to the trouble?" Mariette turned her back to Griselda and smiled as she heard her cough on her water.

"What?!" Griselda hissed. "He's here?! Go get dressed! Now! He could awaken any moment! He cannot see you like this!"

As if her words summoned him, Monsieur Merle stepped into the dining hall. He sat opposite Lady de Casé and did not even glance at Mariette. "Good morning, Lady," he greeted Griselda, reaching for a sausage. "How are you today?"

Making flailing gestures for Mariette to leave that she pretended not to notice, she said, "Fine, thank you Monsieur. And you?"

"Very well. Did Mariette tell you that I am to court her? I am much looking forward to it."

"As am I," Mariette said boldly.

His eyes widened as they roved over her servants apparel and the tray of dishes. "Mariette? What-what on Earth...? Why are you dressed like a servant?"

"Mariette likes to...assist the maids...on occasion," Griselda stuttered. "She's very kind-hearted. She'll make an excellent wife one day."

"But, Griselda," Mariette said innocently, "you told me that I must help the servants-that I wasn't fit to dress as if I were a part of the family."

"Is this true?" Monsieur Merle demanded of Griselda. "Have she even a dowry?!"

"Well, um, she, you see..." Mariette had never seen Griselda so tongue tied in all the time she had known her.

Monsieur Merle threw himself from his chair. "My apologies, Mistress de Casé," Mariette noticed she was no longer 'Mariette', "but I must leave."

He did not return.