The Other Disguise

"That's absurd!"

The prince's voice echoed to greet Mariette as she stepped uneasily into the castle. Winslow placed a comforting hand on her back and led her forward as she paused.

"Winslow, do you think-"

"Hush," he interrupted. "You can't know that he's speaking of you. You are thinking too much of it."

Then they heard, "Mariette is a kind woman and surely an exceptional servant! Father, you cannot be thinking of sending her away!"

"Oh, my," Mariette murmured. "The king has agreed with Griselda. I suppose this is the end of my time here."

"Father!" they heard. "It is not that I care for her! What do I care of a poor, insignificant servant girl? I am to be married within the year! I was simply trying to be the one person in this entirecastle with a heart!"

The last of his statement Mariette was deaf to. What do I care of a poor, insignificant servant girl? The prince did not care for her. The prince would not ever care for her. Despite how he had acted earlier that day, she was nothing and in spite of herself she was hurt.

A moment later her thoughts were disturbed. This was because the prince stormed into the room, like a charging bull, but froze when he saw her. His face contorted in a quick array of emotions: shock, shame, fear, anger (briefly), and then fear again.

"Mariette," he said quietly, not sparing Winslow even a glance. "I have said everything that I can. My father...he will not listen to reason. He is sending you away."

Mariette nodded despairingly. "I had thought as much. It isn't your fault."

"But," he continued intently, "Iwill find a way for you to stay. I give my word on that." He straightened a little and tugged his shirt straight. "Father has agreed, at least, that you shall spend one last night here. You might as well make yourself comfortable."

He left then and Mariette struggled not to collapse onto the floor. She was leaving. But where was she to go? She knew no one. She could stay with Auntie, but she did not even know where Auntie was. Leo and Perriwinkle were unreachable and Winslow lived here. A choking sob reached through her thoughts and she realized that the sound was herself. A large arm went around her.

"Sh," Winslow said. "We will figure something out, Cinders. Don't worry. Hush."

Mariette leaned into his embrace. "There is nothing you can do, Winslow." After a few moments, Mariette pulled away from his so that she could look out the window. Outside, the sky had darkened to a midnight black. "I need to sleep," she murmured.

She bid Winslow good night and then found her bedroll. Her mind was a storm of emotion, mostly fear, but she fell asleep the moment her head touched her pillow. She did not sleep for long.

It was a dark, gloved hand that awoke her as it covered her mouth. She gasped, but the hand muffled the noise and a familiar voice whispered, "Hush! I told you I would find a way for you to stay, did I not? This may be our only chance, so you need not wake the other servants."

"Alex?" Mariette hissed as he pulled his hand away, and then offered it to her to help her stand.

In the dark, she saw a flash of white that could only have been his smile. "Who else? Come, Mariette." He offered her his arm and she took it; he pulled her toward the exit.

"Where are we going?"

He did not answer her question as they stumbled out the door and into the damp night. His grip on her arm never faltered, even as she nearly fell. He caught her and pulled her upright, holding her to him. This close, Mariette could see the flecks of blue in the deep green of his eyes, his black eyelashes that curled to an impossible length. This close, Mariette could pretend that he cared for her.