Bargains

The pound of the horse's hooves on the ground rattled Mariette's brain within her head. She groaned loudly and Winslow's arms tightened around her.

"It might be a good idea," he whispered into her ear, trying to be as quiet as possible so as not to disturb her headache, "if you had just a sip of the brandy to ease the pain."

"No," Mariette moaned, squeezing her eyes tighter shut against the glare of the sun. "Never again."

Winslow's chuckle filled her ear. "You won't be drunk but for a sip, Cinders."

Unable to be fazed, she lolled her head against his shoulder. "How's Victor?"

Winslow snorted and whispered, "Put your hands over your ears." As she did so, he bellowed, "Victor! You keeping up?"

Despite the barrier between her and the sound, Mariette flinched, his yell shaking the bones of her skull. "Ouch," she whispered.

"Sorry. I had to do something to keep him awake. It's a good thing our thief wants so desperately to return to his camp, or he'd be long gone. Victor isn't much by way of a guard."

Mariette could barely focus on his words, yet still they made her smile with satisfaction, just a little. But slowly it faded as, in the distance, she heard a new sound. "Winslow...do you hear that?"

His body stiffened against her back. "Yes." It was the only word he spoke before a group of armed horseman charged through the trees, surrounding them.

Mariette's eyes flew open as Winslow's arms tightened almost painfully around her, and she gasped.

One man, a tall burly beast, laughed joyfully and shook out his long greasy hair. "Cyrus, you will surely die for this one! Captain asked you to bring an entire band of guards for us to slaughter, and what is this?" His eyes roved over the group of them, glinting with humor. "Only one is dressed in castle garb, and he can't even keep his eyes open." Those roving eyes then rested on Mariette. "But, what's this? Have you brought a portion of the king's trade?"

"She's not for you," Winslow snarled, his constricting arms making it hard for Mariette to breathe. She gasped quietly and gently placed a hand on his arm, warning him. His grip loosened minutely.

The man raised an eyebrow. "We'll see about that. You're surrounded, sir, our have you not noticed? We'll take what we please. Unfortunately, while the woman and the guard are of use to us, you are not. You will die."

"Or," Mariette spoke, her voice ringing clear and loud through her panic, despite her headache. "We could propose a trade."

"Cinders," Winslow hissed in her ear, "what are you doing?"

Mariette squeezed her eyes shut and sucked in a breath. When she opened them, the man was watching her curiously. "I will go willingly, as part of the king's bargain for his son, if you vow not to harm my companion."

Winslow gasped. "No. I will not allow you to-"

He was interrupted by the man's laugh. "That is your idea of a trade? You are almost more valuable unwilling! There are men among us who find a certain joy in the struggle."

Calling his bluff, Mariette said, "Are you certain of that? And what if I were to find a way to escape? Wouldn't it be simpler to have a guarantee of my compliance?"

Nodding, as if accepting her response, the man replied, "Yes, of course it would. And I shall consider this...trade. But, my dear, I am afraid your companion would never allow it. Even now, he seethes at the very thought."

"For his safety," Mariette said quietly, nearly whispering, "I will submit to his anger."

"You cannot!" Winslow bellowed suddenly, causing Mariette to jump and her ears to ring. "For once, this man is right. I will not allow it. You are my fiancée; it is not your place to do such a thing."

"You are wrong," she whispered, for his ears only. "It is even more so my place than ever before." She turned, loosening his arms around her as she did so, and kissed him gently. "I love you," she told him, then leaped from the horse abruptly, not leaving his a chance to stop her.

"Cinders!" he cried as she dashed for the men. One reached down a hand for her, and she swung herself behind him on his horse.

The man did not give her a chance to reconsider; he threw his horse into motion, diving into the thick wood.

"I'm sorry!" she yelled behind her. She whispered, "So, so sorry..." And then the small clearing was out of sight.

"You're a beauty," the man in front of her called over his shoulder. "What lead you to something like this? You could be a duchess if you'd like. A princess, even!"

Mariette frowned. "Why would I want to do that? I have had my fair share of princes and they aren't any fun at all."

"Then you will love us, my dear. We aren't princely or gentlemanly at all."

Mariette's stomach turned. "That wasn't what I meant, exactly."

"Regardless, you are sure to be surprised at the camp. With you there, chaos is sure to strike. Not at first of course-the Captain will have you first, so there'll be nothing to fight about-but once he tires of you..." He glanced over at her. "Well, perhaps that won't be an issue."

Mariette hoped he would not; one man was enough, but being passed around like a bottle of liquor would damage her spirits beyond repair.

"Ah, here we are," the man commented suddenly, slowing his horse abruptly from a run to a slow trot. "Look, girl. This is your new home."