twelve

I didn't want to wear something too fancy, I knew Niall and it wouldn't be a party like that. Even so, I hesitated for hours what to wear. I curled my hair with the irons Florence had lent me after losing mine in Glastonbury; I don't know why, but I loved that wavy look. My hands were shaking, it was the first time I went to a party without my friends. For a second I had regretted telling him I would go, I had a feeling something was going to happen.

The Uber left me at the door of his house, I had never been there. Kensington was a beautiful neighbourhood, full of luxurious houses in white, with perfectly tall ceilings and hedges cut to the smallest detail. I would've never imagined Niall lived there. I was scared to start meeting people who had no idea who I was; I just wanted to have Charlotte by my side, saying rude comments about the dresses of the rest of the guests, it would help me cope with the situation. Before I could enter the room, Niall appeared beside me.

"I thought you would stay at home, but I'm glad to see you here" he said giving me a hug.

"Don't you trust me?" I replied winking.

I went to the kitchen in search of a gintonic, just as he had indicated. I was filling the glass when it slipped from my hands and went to part outside it; I had wet part of my pants. I looked around, I had no idea where the napkins were. "Great Lacie, you start the night making a fool of yourself," I thought. I started looking around the kitchen for a cloth or something to clean everything.

"The napkins are there" said a voice behind me. When I turned to look at the direction he was pointing, I could see who it was. The moment our eyes met, I noticed how all the time we had spent apart, had been nothing. His hair was much longer since the last time I saw him. He wore a flower shirt and tight jeans. His style hadn't changed much, but he looked older, more adult. I didn't remember how tall he was, or how small I looked at his side.

"I hadn't seen you" I stayed silent for a few seconds, I didn't know what to say. - Thank you.

"You're still as clumsy as usual" he said with a smile. I didn't want to give it back, but it was impossible. I didn't know anyone who didn't smile with Harry. - You look like a cartoon, stumbling all the time.

I laughed.

"I guess thanks for the compliment, if you can consider it as one."

I had considered in my mind the option that he could be there that night, although I didn't think Niall played that ambush to me. But I was wrong. It was while he took the napkins and cleaned up all the mess I had made when I thought "My God, I still love you." He was so handsome, so different . It hurt to think he was better off without me, all this time.

"How it was the tour?" I asked, trying to break the ice; to be honest I really wanted to have conversations like we used to. I remember during that summer, when he arrived after the show, at dawn, we could spend hours talking about anything.

"Starting a new one, it's fun to live all this once again. But sometimes I would like to be more at home, just resting."

"It's only fair" I replied giving a sip to my drink. I didn't want to sound rude, I had just run out of words.

He remained silent looking at his glass for what seemed like an eternity.

"I owe you some apologies" he finally said. His eyes fell on me and I could see the effect they had. One look and I was shaking. "I should have gone after you that day in Mayfair."

"It's been a long time. None of us behaved as we should."

"You seemed very sure of your decision" he said with anger in his eyes, he was trying to hide it; but I knew him enough to know it.