seventeen

Harry didn't come to pick me up from the airport as usual, but someone did it for him; his name was Mike, and he was such a nice man. I knew he was busy, so I didn't mind. On the way to the hotel I just observed everything around me, clearly remembering the feelings I had had a year before while driving a very similar road in LA. The heavy sultriness in California during that time of the year, and how everything around me was completely different from London, even completely different from New York, had amazed me.

When I got to the hotel they had a room ready for me, which to my surprise was not the same as Harry's. It was completely empty, without his suitcases or his things in the bathroom; furthermore, the wardrobes were empty. I started to worry when after the second call, I couldn't get in touch with him; but I thought maybe he was late, that something had happened during the recording of the album that had made him unable to answer my calls. I sat on the bed admiring the views from there, the sun entered slightly, creating a kind of harmony within the room, which was mixed with a cold air breeze, appreciated in the midst of all that suffocating heat. I carefully took out the book I had been carrying in my bag the entire trip and laid down on the bed to read it. Ten minutes had not passed when little by little I fell completely asleep, dressed and with my shoes still on.

I was awakened by someone's hand on my arm.

"Laz"the voice said carefully trying not to scare me, while I tried to wake up from what seemed to have been a long nap.

I turned around and found Harry just a few inches from me, sitting on the bed. His hair fell to shoulder length, and he was wearing a half-open printed shirt, which revealed many of his tattoos. He was tanned, even though he'd only been a few days away. He looked handsome, much more than that; and I discovered myself realizing it day by day.

"Hello, how it was the flight?" asked as he put his hand on top of mine. He knew I didn't like flying alone, long flights scared me.

"It was alright. I was a little confused when I arrived, I phoned you but you didn't answer. So I guess I got asleep. You know, flights are not really for sleeping. But I'm much better now. Power naps."

"I'm sorry, I was recording. Come here" he said as he opened his arms to hug me. I approached him and was able to breathe in his scent again. Nothing like this had ever happened to me before. My previous boyfriend had made me happy, and for several months I genuinely thought I was in love with him, but  after some months with Harry, I realize I wasn't. That tingling I felt every time I was near him; I couldn't describe it. He made me feel the most special person on earth. He pressed his lips against mine in a rough but short kiss. I wanted to feel that way all my life, that alive, to feel that fear of the unknown but throw myself into the abyss with him without fear of falling. He made me feel reckless, when I had never been like that, not the least.

"It sounds stupid but I kinda missed you in the past few days" I muttered

"It's not stupid, I did it too. But the good thing it's that you're finally here."

We stared for a few seconds, holding each other's gaze. He managed to made me nervous without even trying. Suddenly he pushed me against the bed and we both fell on top of it, me on top of him.

"Why am I in a spare room? We usually sleep together. It's very strange."

"Because we were recording next door, and I didn't want it to bother you. I'll ask someone to bring all your clothes there. Have you ever been in San Francisco?"

I shook my head as I got out of bed.

"Then I think I can show you a little bit of this city, even though I'm not an expert."