12 Fun

"Dean?"

"Yeah?"

"Could I invite Daisy, Logan, and Jim to have dinner with us?" I ask when we get in the car after the gym.

"Today?"

"Well, yeah." Now that I think more about it. "Oh, maybe not today. Some other time. Lunch maybe?"

Shit!

"Why don't you call them now, and if they can make it, we can make a detour to a grocery store. Would you have enough time to cook something?" Dean asks.

"Yeah, I could."

"Then call them, Zach, and if they can't, we'll think of something else. Okay?"

I quickly call Daisy and she says she'll be there and have a dessert with her, Jim is next, but he can't make it. With that my mood sinks a little.

"Hey, Zach! What's up, you forgot something?" Logan asks in my ear.

"Hi, no everything is good, I just thought, I um... wanted to invite you to dinner tonight at Dean's. Could you make it?" I ask, feeling unsure.

"Um, I don't know, man, I had a meeting."

Crap!

"Oh, it's okay, um, sorry for the inconvenience," I mumble. My heart sinking in my stomach.

"You know what? When do you want me to be there?" Logan asks, suddenly sounding determined.

"I was thinking around six? At least Daisy said she'll be at six." I say surprised by the sudden change of conversation.

"Great, I'll be there, text me what to bring. I'll see you at six, Zach!"

And with that he disconnects. I look at my phone perplexed.

"Um, Logan said he'll be there," I say numbly to Dean, to which he chuckles.

"I think he would sell you his firstborn son, just to not disappoint you," Dean says.

I look at him and he smiles at me with his brown eyes warm and dimples winking at me. We go to the grocery store and buy more food than necessary, laughing at each other over silly things. When we're back at home and I have to start making dinner, Dean offers to help me and I direct him to potato peeling. Meanwhile, I prepare chicken drumsticks and veggies. When Dean is done peeling potatoes, he comes back with his phone and a Bluetooth speaker. He puts on the music and together we make dinner. I don't think I have ever had so much fun in the kitchen by just making dinner and with Dean it feels so natural. It's nearly six o'clock, the table is set and the food is almost ready.

"We should get changed," Dean says, surveying the kitchen.

"Yeah, we should," I answer, not taking my eyes off him. He has a dark scruff on his cheeks and his t-shirt has a tomato sauce stain. He looks so handsome, my fingers itch to touch him and my body sings for him to you touch me back.

Oblivious of my thoughts, Dean spins and goes to his room.

"Zach! Change!" He hollers over his shoulder.

Right. I go to my room and quickly change to my dark blue jeans and put on my black button-down, rolling up my sleeves. When I exit my room Dean is already in the living room, neatly folding the yellow Afghan. Usually I'm the one with bright shirts and Dean likes the dark ones, but tonight it appears our wardrobes have changed, because Dean has a light wash jeans with a lavender button-down. Just like mine, his sleeves are rolled to his elbows.

"Dean, your watch is missing," I tell him.

"Nah, I didn't put it on, I don't need it at home." He smiles at me. "You clean up nice." He says coming closer and running his fingers through my hair.