Five

*Dark Link's POV*

My footsteps splashed through the shallow water. I could see the creature in the reflection copying my every movement, I did enjoy seeing my own crimson eyes glowing back at me. I could see my huge white fangs glittering too. All those worthless peasants who called me a monster....they clearly had no idea of just what true beauty looked like. I laughed to myself.

This room was the only one I liked in the Water Temple as no matter where I went I could see my own handsome reflection following me. I had no other reason to stay other than the fact that my master had decided I was to deal with the "Hero of Time", as every other monster and every single obstacle set in place had failed. He was tough but I would not make the same mistake as every other pawn Ganondorf had used. Typical.....being sent to do his dirty work for him, I should have been king...

I heard a the sudden shift of a door, interrupting my train of thought. He had got here faster than I had anticipated. Looks like his life would be ending early. The footsteps grew close now until I could hear them behind the entrance.

I disappeared just before he could enter. I was stood underneath the waters surface now watching.....
and there he was....dressed in a green tunic and cap to match, he had a blonde mop of hair and blue eyes. He obviously looked nothing like me!

I followed along as he went...the moron didn't even notice me in place of his own reflection. Naturally he went straight towards the exit as if the door would simply swing open. He tried a few times before turning round suspiciously. He wandered curiously around the tree in the centre of the room. I was careful not to be seen as I crept behind the dead tree. He saw me.

Neither of us moved, he seemed taken aback by my appearance...hah...I liked that. The look of fear on his face. I wonder what other sort of reactions I could get? I stepped towards him, he braced himself expecting an attack. I copied. He shuffled left and right in an attempt to strike, once again I copied. He looked more uneasy and confused with every second but swiftly ended my game and landed the first blow.

I fell back underneath the water in pain. My doppelgänger had managed to strike my arm in which I held my sword. Perfect. I rolled my eyes in frustration. I leaped up towards the surface again. I hissed loudly and slashed him with all my might but missed his stomach and injured his hip instead.

He faltered slightly before fighting back. He threw stroke after stroke but my obsidian shield rendered his attempts useless. Finally I had enough of his senseless attacks. He swung his sword aiming for my neck but to no avail as I leapt high above him and landed behind. With a single strike he went down hard landing in the shallow water.

"Give up yet 'hero'?", I remarked. Yet rather annoyingly he persisted.

"You know, what they say; You win some and lose some! Hahaha! Except for me! I always win!!"

We both continued to fight until I felt a strange fatigue take ahold. My body grew tired as I attacked and evaded. I was slowing down. Within seconds I was being knocked down underneath the surface. I returned again and again but he wouldn't stop.

He battered me across the face as he approached me again. I snarled in rage and unleashed a furious attack. The hero fell to his knees. I leaned forward grinning, I was so ready to end him right there and then. I was sick of looking into the eyes of the one I supposedly mirrored.

I screamed. A surge of pain travelled through my entire being. I looked down to see the Master Sword plunged into my chest. My breaths grew rapid, my vision blurry. I sunk beneath the surface for the last time. I had no strength left to battle any longer. I saw the hero stand looking down into the murky depths. He began to leave then picked something from the ground.

Damn it! My rupees, I must have dropped my bag during the fight! The asshole made off with it all. I growled, I was unable to do anything. Undoubtedly he would make it out of the temple alive, Morpha wouldn't stand a chance. The water around me grew darker and my eyes grew weary awaiting death. All I could see was my own pitch black blood filling the water around me. Finally I closed my eyes.....

I had lost.