Nine

'At long last the fight was over, the evil that had tortured the kingdom so died. Well almost all of it....'

I sat up to see them now stood along the castle path, their villain now vanquished. Relief filled the faces of both Link and Zelda. I watched them head towards the remains of the village. I still seethed with rage from my last encounter with the hero. I stumbled forward gaining speed, I was going to end him once and for all!

Summoning every ounce of strength left within I leaped from the high ground. I was so close to doing it, to killing him, I had the dark obsidian sword in my grasp but only seconds from Link's approaching demise I was stopped...

A huge brown Owl twice my own height caught me in its talons. My attempt now ruined, I screeched at the winged creature but to no avail as I was thrown about my the beast. It thrashed and it dived. I was thrown to the grown with a spine tingling snap, broken bones probably...but I had no time to think as I was flung into the air once again, higher up into the atmosphere within seconds.

The Owl called loudly as it swooped down to catch me. I was carried up side down, still being thrown relentlessly. Suddenly my sword was knocked from my grasp, it hurtled to the ground far below. I fell after it. The Owl had dropped me above lake Hylia and I landed in the cold water, blinded by the icy cool aqua. Only after I hit the water's deadly surface did I feel the pain of the injuries I received.

I gasped, I choked and gagged trying to stay above the waves. I could see through blurred vision the Owl drifting away into the sky. It seemed a day couldn't go by without getting injured anymore. I used to be feared, I was able to take on anyone and anything. I struggled to the island above the entrance to the Water Temple; the place where all this began.

I reached the sandy shore of the island and instantly collapsed, my face almost completely buried in the sand. I was so exhausted, agony left me moaning and groaning in the sand. My entire being suffered the sting of the attack. I fell subject to fatigue once again when I lifted my head, the pain made me cry out. Gasping still I fought to my knees. The water rippled around my ankles.

I looked down to check just how many injuries I had suffered. I found nothing.
That's when I noticed it. The black obsidian blade was lying in the grass beyond. I struggled over and picked it up. I now knew why I could find no injuries, for it was the sword that had taken the damage. It's jet black surface was riddled with scratches and now a huge crack had almost split it in half.

I ran my hands across the edges of the chasm like crack and suddenly jolted back wincing from the pain. The fatigue that had been stalking my every step was because of this. It's pain was my own. I held it close to my chest, I suddenly realised:

one more hit....and I would die.

Once again the crimson tears I hated, fell down my face burning from my eyes. I didn't even bother wiping them away, I was too busy cradling the sword in my hands, my mind fixated on the idea that I may never fight again, I was useless!!

For the first time in my life I no longer liked the person I was and I no longer cared for then life I had lived. It had been nothing more than a waste. I kinda missed the little guy I used to be....
he wouldn't have ended up this way.

The last of the sun's light filled my red bloodshot eyes and tear stained face. Through the soft heavenly light I gazed up to the source of the warmth beyond the cliffside above.... and I could have sworn I saw a pure Sapphire ray shining just beneath the sun....
it was beautiful.