CHAPTER 2: THE GUY FROM THE CEMETERY

Morgan

We reached the hospital and the officers took me see my mother's body. We walked down the stairs and entered the lowest floor, which is where the mortuary is. My mum died before she could reach the hospital, so they couldn't save her. So, they brought her body here.

This floor was unlike the upper floors, which is bright and open. This one is dark, with the walls and floor the colour of lime green, and the dim lighting gives this place an eerie feeling.

We entered a room that leads to the mortuary and I looked at the mortuary doors. A doctor was already here and it seemed like he was waiting for someone. Suddenly, the door of the room opened and a nurse pushed in a bed with someone on it. The person was covered with a long, white cloth, and a hand was hanging from the side of the bed. From the shape of the person, I could tell that it's a woman.

'Could this be mum?', I thought. The doctor looked up at me, and than to the officers beside me. He looked at me and asked," Are you Morgan Evergreen?".

I nodded. "Yeah".

The doctor looked at me and then went beside the nurse who now held a black plastic bag that looked like a garbage bag. He took hold of the edge of the sheet and pulled it down, revealing my mother.

Blood stained her face, her neck, her clothes, her hair. Blood covered her everywhere.

I looked down at her and I couldn't believe that she's dead. Really dead. Her long brown hair that was as dark as the chocolate I love was sticky with blood. She was wearing her favourite green sweater, with her favourite midnight blue, starry dress beneath. She finished this look with her thin silver necklace that had a silver ring from my father.

I looked at her again, then realized, this is actually real. The blow of pain from that realization almost had me kneeling. It hurts so much. My mother, my solace, my idol, my everything, is now gone. The tears rolling down my face was uncontrollable. My shoulders shook from the intensity of my sobs, but, I never made a single sound.

I felt light-headed and I couldn't take in any air from the fast paced movement of my chest. I gripped the side of my mother's bed and laid my head beside her body.

I heard the opening and closing of the door and I rose up to see the two officers leaving the room. I looked at the other side of the room to see the nurse carrying a bowl. She brought it and set it on the table that was beside my mother's bed.

I saw the table was laid with the bowl filled with water, a few towels, with soap and, a needle and thread. The nurse took the bloody sheet away and started to take off her clothes and sandals.

"C-can I h-help...to c-clean her u-up?", I asked her.

"Are you sure you want to help clean her?", she asked me.

I nodded.

She looked at me for a while, and then nodded. She pushed the table at the head of the bed and I took a towel, dipped it in the water and then started to wipe the blood off her face.

I silently cried while washing my mother's body, and then watched the doctor and the nurse stitched the open wounds of my mother. Her necklace was given to me, along with her clothes and shoes in the plastic bag since I asked for it.

After she was cleaned, dried and stitched up, the nurse wrapped her up with the white sheet, and a man in dressed in all white took her inside the mortuary and laid her on one of the platforms.

I went outside and leaned against the wall sobbing. Who would have thought that my beautiful mother would be gone today. Just this morning she gave me a beautiful smile and wished me a great day and to do my best at school. Now I will never see her smile again, I'll never see her beautiful eyes and the way she always gazed at me with love. Now, I'll never see nor hear her again.