Chapter 8: Reunion // Pt. 3

Until I could feel indifferent about your empty spot
I tried to live as I buried you in my heart
But every time, I am looking through that hole

__________________________________________________________________

As the night wore on, there had been three k.o’s, 4 confessions and one more engagement announcement. Somebody got the grand idea of turning the karaoke machine on. It turned out to be lots of fun. They each went in turns and those who chickened out had to chug, There were a few duets here and there. One guy threw up while singing. Then, it was Ushijima’s turn. He chugged. No one could blame him, though. Fujiwara went onstage with Yumi and a few others. They attempted to sing ‘Wannabe” by the Spice Girls. The performance was good except for the fact that half the group was drunk and there was only one mic. 

 Everybody was laughing and having fun. Even Ushijima. He felt, well, comfortable around his old friends. They talked to each other about the happenings in their lives so far.

“So, you got a girlfriend? Famous athlete like you must have girls fawning over you everyday, I bet,” Mako said with a smirk. No reply. He leaned in closer and lowered his voice so that only Ushijima could hear him talk. “Or still stuck on Princess-sama?” The athlete’s jaw tightened. His friend seemed to notice this. “It’s a joke,” he said with a goofy smile. Ushijima ignored him.

 “Neh, don’t you want to talk to him at all?” asked Tsubomi, one of Fujiwara’s friends. No reply. “Fine, be like that,” the friend said with a pout. The topic was pushed away for the rest of the night. The party went on until around 3 a.m. As everyone said their goodbyes, Fujiwara felt a twinge of nostalgia. It was like graduation all over again. Only this time, she could meet her friends more often which made her feel slightly better. As she made her way to find a taxi, she bumped into someone. “Sorry,” she said without looking up. “It’s okay,” said Ushijima. Fujiwara felt her face heat up. “Excuse me, I have to go,” and she rushed away.

Ushijima watched her back as she hurried into a cab. Then, something on the ground caught his eye. A small pouch. It must be hers. I’ll pass it to Mako to hand it to her later, he thought to himself. With that, the night was over.