05

CHAPTER FIVENUMBER FIVE◦

CHAPTER FIVE
NUMBER FIVE

SHE CAN HARDLY THINK DURING THE DRIVE TO THE GYM. Diego doesn't force her to talk either. She sits in the passenger seat, stewing in her anger and regret. Of course she couldn't save Patch. When has she ever thought about anyone other than herself? Fucking never, that's when.

Ramona hears voices as Diego carries her into the boiler room/apartment. He sits her on the bed next to Five, whose brows crease at the sight of her. She ignores him, staring blankly at the floor.

Luther stands in shock. "What the hell happened? Whose blood is that?" He seems to turn a little green. "Oh my god, is that a knife?" When he mentions it, Ramona realizes that she completely forgot about the knife in her leg. She grabs it at the hilt and rips it out, blood pouring from the wound for a few seconds before it slowly seals shut. Luther gags at the sight. She tosses the knife across the room, uncaring of where it lands.

Diego glares at Five. "Our brother's been pretty busy since he got back. He was in the middle of that shootout at Griddy's, and then at Gimble Brothers, after the guys in masks attacked the academy looking for him!"

"None of which is any of your concern." Five states.

"It is now. They just killed my friend." Diego points to Ramona, who doesn't blink. "They tortured Ramona!"

Luther looks down at Five. "Who are they, Five?"

Five purses his lips. "They work for my former employer. A woman called the Handler. She sent them to stop me. Then, as soon as Diego's friend got in their way, well, fair game."

"Now they're my fair game, and I'm gonna see to it that they pay." Diego snaps and starts out.

"That would be a mistake, Diego, they've killed people far more dangerous than you." Five calls.

"We'll see about that." He slams the door behind him.

Ramona doesn't look at them, even though both of them turn to stare at her.

For several minutes, no one says anything. Finally, Ramona slides off of the bed and shuffles over to Diego's clothing rack. She pulls down a black long sleeved shirt and she finds a pair of sweatpants in the dresser.

With her back to them, Ramona slips out of her demolished blouse and bra. They're barely functioning anymore anyways.

"Mona," Luther murmurs, unable to look away from her bare back, "What the hell did they do to you?"