09

CHAPTER NINECHANGES◦

CHAPTER NINE
CHANGES

IS IT TO WORSE TO BE POWERFUL AND ALONE OR TO BE WEAK AND WITH THE ONES YOU LOVE? Both of them sound less than optimal. How do you make such a decision? With power, you can do more good than without. With your family, you can only be good to so many. But you love them. Which one is the truly selfish option?

Luckily, she doesn't have to make that decision right now. For a short while, at least, she can have both.

Ramona has never loved the darkness. In her room she likes to leave her vanity lights on at night. Sometimes the moon is bright enough to light the entire room. The darkness reminds her how alone she is, especially before all of this apocalypse bullshit.

She hadn't spoken to Luther in four years. Diego, even longer. Allison became famous and went to LA. She'd run into Klaus from time to time but he always wanted money, so she tried to avoid him when possible. Ben was dead. Five was gone.

And Vanya, she was a different story. She tried calling Ramona sometimes but she'd never answer. They'd make plans for lunch and most of them fell through. Whenever they did see each other, Ramona was always itching to leave. Vanya drove Ramona nuts with her good morals and desire to connect with her. It always felt so shallow.

She knows how Vanya sees her. A materialistic little slut with a love for murder. Isn't that how they all see her? Powerful and funny but morally corrupt and mean.

Most of it's true. The entire world is mean, why shouldn't she be? The world thrives on pleasure, why can't she? The world steps on the throats of the less fortunate, why shouldn't she remove its legs? She has the power to. What good is power if you don't use it? What good is life if you don't live it?

What good is family if they don't try to see who you are and instead try to mold you into who they want you to be? Ramona isn't a good person and she never claimed to be. She isn't nice and she isn't considerate. She never claimed to have no flaws but she does ask that you see the good she does in spite of them. She asks for a lot but not from you—from those who don't deserve to have a lot in the first place.

What good is a pretty face if it's worn by a serpent?

"She's very weak."

"She'll recover, right?"

"Yes. But it's hard to tell how long it will take. The delicacy and the concentration she used to stop Allison's bleeding is . . . remarkable. To repair skin cells with such precision took a lot out of her."