07

CHAPTER SEVENTHE DAY THAT WAS◦

CHAPTER SEVEN
THE DAY THAT WAS

"WHO THE HELL IS HAROLD JENKINS?"

Five chugs the rest of his coffee and chucks the empty cup across the parlor. "I don't know. Yet. But I do know that he's responsible for the apocalypse. So we have to find him, and we have to do it now."

"How is he connected to what's gonna happen?" Luther asks.

"I don't know." Five says tiredly.

Diego steps forward. "Wait, so you just know his name? That's it?"

"That's enough."

"There's probably dozens of Harold Jenkins's in this city." Diego grits.

"Well then, we should probably start looking." Ramona butts in, stepping closer to Five.

He seems to be wincing and he keeps glancing down at his abdomen. "Hey," she whispers, catching his attention, "are you okay?"

Five nods once. Okay then.

"I'm sorry, am I the only one that's skeptical here? I mean, how exactly do you know all of this about what's his name?" Allison exclaims.

"Harold Jenkins. You know those lunatics in masks who attacked the house?"

"Oh, yeah! I think I remember those guys!" Klaus drawls.

"Yeah, the ones that attacked us while you were getting drunk. The ones who kidnapped Klaus and Ramona and tortured them." Diego says bitterly.

Five's jaw clicks as he glances at Ramona. "Yeah. Them." He hisses. "They were sent by the Temps Commission to stop me from coming back and preventing the end of life on Earth."

Allison crosses her arms. "The Temps what?"

"My former employer. They monitor all of time and space to make sure that whatever is supposed to happen . . . happens." Five clarifies.

"So essentially, we have no free will." Ramona concludes.

He nods. "They believe the apocalypse is coming in three days. So I went to Commission headquarters and intercepted a message that was meant for said lunatics. 'Protect Harold Jenkins'. So he must be responsible for the apocalypse."

Luther, Allison, and Diego all stare at him for a long moment before they all speak at once.

"What do you mean, protect time and space?"