Chapter Two: The Squirrel Incident

I wake to sound.

Outside my walls, the world is awake and bubbling with life. Different kinds of birds chirp, distant chatter mingles with car doors closing. The leaves on the tree knock my window rhythmically. For the first time in a long time, I can feel some of that life inside me. Nothingness is either hiding or gone. Either way, I can't sense him now. He is fearful of this new will to live.

I drift back to sleep only to be reawakened by my aunt. "Get up! Get ready for school!" She sings as she pulls off my covers.

I'm disoriented, clinging desperately to my dream world. I dream that I am playing with Craig's child. That I am a child again, myself. We're running around chasing each other, laughing, and climbing colorful structures on a bright playground.

"Uh-uh." My voice is raspy from last night's events. "Not going."

My aunt sighs. "Come on, Iris. Get up." She lays a hand on my head. "Your education awaits you."

"Too tired!" I pull the sheets back over myself. "I was out late!"

"Now, whose fault is that?" Her voice stern. "Girl, you better get up." She walks out the room with finality, and I know her suggestion was more of a command.

* * *

    In homeroom, my seat is in the back right corner of the room. I claimed that spot at the beginning of the year so that I could watch everyone. What I didn't know is that half of the cheerleading team would chose all of the seats that surround me. They always find something to laugh or giggle about as I enter the classroom. Adair, their leader, sits a few seats away from me, and always stares at me like I'm an alien. She must not be able to comprehend why I don't wear dresses everyday to public high school. Begrudgingly, I zip up my favorite black hoodie as they continue to giggle.

Remembering last night, I imagine the desk where I sit being empty for the rest of the school year. When people found out about my death, they would associate my empty desk with the word "suicide." They would regret their laughter, their mocking and judging glances. They would regret treating me like an outcast.

As I head to the cafeteria for lunch, I look forward to seeing my friend Ralphie--if you can even call him a friend. He's actually a squirrel.

I usually sit on the bench by the Oak tree outside, and Ralphie sits at my feet, waiting to be fed bits of my food.

Upon approaching my usual spot, I realize that my table is now occupied by members of the popular, elite group. This group includes Adair, a few more girls from the cheerleading team, and some guys from the basketball team. She must've noticed I was in a worse mood than usual this morning, and came up with the idea to get a rise out of me. Some of them glance over expecting to see me go crazy, knowing they wrongfully stole my spot. Seriously, what am I going to do? There's six of them and one of me. Sure, I have that creepy, silent thing going for me, but that's the weakest kind of intimidating.

Casually, I divert my path to a nearby tree. I sit on a stocky root and hope Ralphie will be able to find me here. I begin to eat my sandwich and observe my surroundings, careful to not eye the group that took my table.

A dramatic scream sounds in front of me. I shift my eyes upward at the table without lifting my head. Adair stands quickly, backing away from the table. The guys around her all laugh. "Get that filthy thing away from me!" She commands. The guys sitting at the table laugh and one of them pokes under the table with a thick stick. Ethan, Adair's on and off boyfriend clicks his teeth. "Here, squirrelly, squirrelly, squirrelly," he teases.

When I squint my eyes in their direction, I can see a panicked Ralphie under the table running around in circles. He begins to scream pitifully. I didn't know squirrels even did that. Ethan laughs as he swats the stick at him.