Chapter Fifteen: The Idex Ship

*Trigger warning*

This chapter contains graphic/violent imagery. Reader's discretion is advised.

_________________________

I wake to a scream.

As I hurriedly jump out of bed, I turn the corner down the hall to see Ulysses rough housing with Alexandra. Alexandra runs from him disappearing behind another wall. Ulysses gets her, grabbing her and pulling her back into view. She screams in delight as she pretends to fight him off of her. I exhale in relief as I enter.

Everyone is at the dining room table except Jesse, and we all have a sort of last breakfast together. I look around at everyone, desperate to ensure that we all return safely to Earth after this mission. I'm not expecting any of us to die, but I don't rule out the possibility. A fearful shiver runs down my spine and shakes my hands when I consider us not all making it back. I squeeze my hands between my knees.

Jesse walks into the room, breaking my train of thought. His eyes go right to mine and he gives me such a meaningful smile that my heart drops to my stomach. "Morning everyone," he says. I smile at him as the others echo the greeting.

After breakfast, Michael urges that we waste no time in proceeding with the mission to rescue Mary and transport back to Earth. Once we are dressed in our suits, we congregate in the living room to discuss the last strategy to be executed.

"I decided to split us up into two groups based on need," Michael says. "Team A will be Abigail, Audra, Chelsea, AJ, Ulysses, Alexandra, and Johnny." He looks around the room. "Team B will be me, Iris, Lacie, Josh, and Jesse." He pauses, looking back at his map. "What Team A needs to do is make it to the laundromat and stay there until we've rescued Mary. If you see any trouble, help defend us." He turns to Abigail. "Make sure to radio me when you make it there."

Abigail nods, scanning the faces of her team.

Michael continues. "I'll send Lacie and Iris into the ship to find Mary. I would send Chelsea too, but she is too weak right now. The rest of us will help them get there safely, and out if need be."

Chelsea frowns, lightly rubbing the back of her leg.

"I want to go in with them," Jesse says. "Into the ship." He is staring intently at Michael.

"The less people we have in there, the better." Michael shakes his head. "I'm sorry, we can't risk it."

Jesse's lips tighten and he lowers his head.

"Don't worry." Michael says, placing a hand on his shoulder. "They'll be okay. In fact, all of us will be." Michael adds. He hands Lacie and I our own set of radios. "Use this to communicate to us, and to each other, once you've found Mary. Be brief. You don't want any Idex to find you."

When we take our radios and tune it to the right frequency, he smiles, glancing at everyone. "We're all going home today, right?"

"Right," some say sporadically.

"Right?" He asks again, this time louder and with even more enthusiasm.

"Right!" Everyone yells in unison.

"Wait a minute," I ask. "What about Adam?" He was my guide to the safe house. I still don't know what he looks like in human form. Well, apart from the picture Mr. Tulse showed us before we came from seventeen years ago.

Abigail frowns, her shoulders drooping. "Michael and I talked to him last night while you all were asleep." She looks around at us sadly. " He's going to stay here with the Seltsamites. He doesn't want to go back to Earth."