Chapter II: I get Showered in Sunlight

When my brain finally caught up with the situation, my hyperactivity kicked in. I tried my best to reign in my excitement but it was ridiculously hard. I was getting a new home! And I didn't have to go to Yancy anymore!

My excitement didn't go by Grover and Percy unnoticed.

"You seem happy. What did Mr. Brunner tell you?" Percy asked.

"He offered me a place to stay. A new home."

"Wow! Where?"

"I don't know. He said he'd take me there after we got back to the school. He said it was some kind of summer camp that's open all year." I answered.

"And you're going?" Percy asked.

"Of course! Anything's better than the orphanage."

"Nice."

There was something off about the way Percy spoke. Like he was upset but trying to cover it up. Then it hit me. I was leaving him and Grover behind. I got to go to a cool new place whereas he had to stay at Yancy. I felt a pang of guilt.

"I'm sorry, Percy. I didn't mean to be a jerk and rub it in your face. I'll stay here if you want."

And I would. I'd only known Percy and Grover for a year but they were the best friends I'd ever had. I would give up my happiness if they asked me to.

"What? No, no, no! You deserve to be happy, Penny. Take this chance. We'll be fine." Percy replied with wide eyes.

Typical, always putting others before himself.

"And besides, I think we have other stuff we need to discuss. Like Mrs. Dodds."

I nodded in agreement as I recalled our encounter with the monster teacher.

"Percy, I told you already. There was no Mrs. Dodds. Are you sure you're alright?" Grover asked with concern.

I looked at him in surprise.

"What do you mean? Of course there was! She came with us and Mr. Brunner!" I replied.

"No. She did." Grover insisted, motioning towards a woman sitting at the front who I had never seen before.

Grover sounded so convincing that I almost believed him. However, he had hesitated before talking, which gave away his nervousness. Now, Grover gets nervous about a lot of things but in this situation the only possible explanation was him trying to lie. He only further confirmed it when he turned away from Percy and I for the rest of the drive.

When we got back to Yancy, Mr. Brunner pulled me aside.

"I'll let you go get your things and say goodbye to your friends. Meet me here when you're ready."

I nodded and went to get my stuff from the dorm. I then went to Percy and Grover's dorm to say goodbye. I didn't bother knocking since we hung out in their dorm all the time.

Both of them looked up when they noticed me come in.

"You're going now?" Percy asked.

"Yeah."

Grover got up and pulled me into a hug.

"Stay safe."

I laughed as I hugged him back.

"I should be the one telling you that."

We let go of each other and I turned to Percy. We stood there for a few seconds before pulling each other into an even tighter hug.

"I'll miss you so much."

His voice cracked as he spoke. I could feel my eyes watering at the thought of never seeing my friends again.