Capter VIII: Introducing Percy Jackson, the Toilet King

"Jackson, you have to do better than that!" Annabeth snapped once we were outside.

Percy, still very confused, seemed slightly annoyed at her aggressive attitude.

"What?"

"I can't believe I thought you were the one." Annabeth muttered.

Now Percy was really annoyed.

"What's your problem? All I know is I kill some bull guy..."

"Don't talk like that! Do you know how many kids at this camp wish they'd had your chance?!" Annabeth interrupted.

"To get killed?!" Percy asked in disbelief.

"To fight the Minotaur! What do you think we train for?"

I understood Annabeth's anger. She had been stuck in Camp Half-Blood since she was seven and desperately hoped for a quest, a chance to prove herself. But, while I could see why she was frustrated with Percy, I also knew that fighting bloodthirsty monsters was a desire Percy did not share. Which I assumed contributed greatly to his alarmed look.

"Look, if the thing I fought really was the Minotaur, the same one in the stories..."

"Yes." I cut in, wanting to give Annabeth a chance to cool off.

"Then there's only one."

"Yes."

"And he died, like, a gajillion years ago. Theseus killed him in the Labyrinth. So..."

"He didn't die, Percy. Monsters can be killed, but they don't die."

I only realized how dumb and confusing that sounded after I finished speaking.

"Oh, thanks. That clears it up."

Well, at least his sense of sarcasm was still intact.

"Monsters don't have souls like we do. You can banish them for a while. If you're lucky even a lifetime. But they eventually reform." I explained.

Percy nodded thoughtfully.

"You mean if I kill one, accidentally, with a sword..."

"The Fu... I mean, your maths teacher? That's right. She's still out there. You just made her very, very mad." Annabeth cut in.

"How did you know about Mrs. Dodds?" he asked surprised.

"I told her about it." I said.

"And you talk in your sleep." Annabeth added.

"You almost called her something. A Fury? They're Hades's torturers, right?"

Both mine and Annabeth's eyes immediately darted towards the ground, inspecting it nervously. During the time I'd spent at Camp Half-Blood I had learned that names should not be used so casually, partly through several scoldings from Mr. D.

When Percy spoke, I half expected the three demon ladies to jump out of the ground and blast us into oblivion. Fortunately, that didn't happen.

"Names have power, Percy. You shouldn't use them lightly. We call them 'Kindly Ones' if we ever need to talk about them." I told him.

"Look, is there anything we can say without it thundering?" he asked, beginning to sound a bit whiny if I'm being honest.

"Why do I have to stay in cabin eleven anyway? Why is everyone so crowded together? There are plenty of empty bunks right there."

I suppressed a groan and tried to calm down, telling myself that I was just as clueless when I first arrived to Camp (except I wasn't!).

"You don't choose a cabin, Percy. It depends on who your parents are. Or... your parent." Annabeth explained, looking at him meaningfully in hopes that he would get it.