Chapter 25 : Haqeeqat

MERRY CHRISTMAS ❤ enjoy the 2in1 chapter :'D

•••

【 25.

Twenty-Five

Haqeeqat 】

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

[ Haqeeqat • reality/truth ]

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

      WHATEVER CRACK IN the woman’s cool and unbothered exterior, that appeared upon the discovery of Divvine Cellars being a mutual place of interest to both her and Zachary Hawthorne, is completely gone now. Rosaline Bonovich is back with that irksome, irritating, unshakeable demeanour.

Adam has never had someone so unflinching and indifferent sit across him in this interrogation room before.

But he does have a few more tricks up his sleeves. And there’s only so many cracks Rosaline will be able to take. She’ll cave eventually, and Adam will be there to scrutinise each trace she may unintentionally leave behind.

“Rosaline,” Adam starts casually, “When I came to the hotel to arrest Mr Hawthorne and have you escorted to the precinct too, you were just getting out of your car.”

“Yes,” Rosaline replies with a subtle shrug of one shoulder. “I needed to get some toiletries.”

“You couldn’t ask the hotel to provide some?”

“The hotel provides their signature products,” she says. “All custom-made with their trademark scent of cinnamon. Not really my thing.”

“That’s progress, huh?” Adam asks, his lips twitching. “I mean, despite all the horror taking place only a week ago, you can still have the headspace to go and get your preferred brand of toiletries.” He pauses, deliberately letting his words hang in the air. “I mean, if I was in your place, I wouldn’t have even noticed what scent the hotel’s products had, let alone be able to go out and actually buy stuff that I liked.”

Rosaline’s expression doesn’t change much, but Adam could swear the green in her eyes turned a shade bitterer and colder.

“It’s the little things,” she tells in a cutting voice, not giving away anything else of what she might be feeling right then. “It helps me feel a little more normal with all that’s going on.”

Adam watches her fingers grip the table’s edge hard, as if bracing herself for an attack of some sort.

“That makes sense, I guess,” he says nonchalantly, knowing he’s slowly getting under her skin now. She’s harder to provoke than Zachary Hawthorne—considering the latter is a little too impulsive and reckless. Ironically though, those are the very traits that make the guy’s statements somewhat believable. There’s a refreshing kind of honesty in Zachary’s words that both Adam and Juanita agreed on when replaying a clip of the interrogation during one of their breaks.

With Rosaline Bonovich though, nothing is as it seems on the surface. She lets Adam see exactly what and how much she wants for him to see. Nothing more, nothing less. It amazes him how much of a grip she has on her emotions—or, at least, on her ability to mask them.

“Well, coming to the point,” Adam says, sitting up straighter. “I noticed a small dent on the side of your car. How’d that happen?”

Rosaline’s eyes flicker with mild confusion before she draws her eyebrows subtly towards one another. “It was a while ago,” she tells him. “I can’t remember… two years, maybe? Or was it three? Doesn’t matter. Was a small crash.” She cocks her head to her left, “Why?”