10. | SIMPATICO by Zuzanna Darkbloom

SHORT STORY

SHORT STORY

Finley pounded on the despicable vending machine

Finley pounded on the despicable vending machine. It was her second time feeding it a dollar with no consolation prize. She eyed the cream-filled ding-dong, salivating at its yumminess. She gave another hearty punch and a kick to no avail.

"Why me?" she mumbled. Finley could have avoided the mugging if she hadn't gone back for her art supplies at Norton Hall, and she didn't trust any of her sticky-fingered classmates not to lift her white sheep hair paint brushes. She was also lucky to have a member of the campus police witness the entire debacle. Unfortunately, they didn't catch the guy. He was too fast. Not even a golf cart could keep up.

"Ugh. Stupid thing." With one last attempt, Finley gave a forceful kick (one that her soccer enthusiast father would appreciate) and triggered a cataclysmic downfall of sugary treats.

She let out a gleeful shriek. "Oh, thank you, sweet baby Jesus." Finley grabbed her stash and headed straight for the lobby where her luggage was still safely tucked behind a potted fern.

She dug into her meager Christmas Eve dinner, relishing the fatty goodness. This was her plan after all-to eat her weight in individually-packaged, two-syllable sweets. Vending machine treats weren't exactly on the forefront of her mind, but beggars couldn't be choosers.

The distant sound of a chirp alerted Finley to a text. She let out a sigh of relief, thanking her lucky stars that she kept her phone on her person at all times and not in her purse. The text was from her ma:

MAMA (3:18 PM) -: WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU AREN'T COMING?

Finley cringed. Even with a thousand miles between them, she could hear her mother's disapproving tone. It was like her mother had personally sent her a Howler.

Finley: I am penniless. No passport. No money. No ID. Lo siento. I am sorry.

She shouldn't have to apologize or use that tone, but her mother's reaction was unbelievable. She cared more about Finley meeting her potential new husband in Barbados than ask if Finley was okay. For god's sakes! She was mugged!