Chapter Nine

When I awoke the morning after my party, it was in a very memorable way

          When I awoke the morning after my party, it was in a very memorable way. Memorable in its awfulness. I ran to the bathroom and upchucked what felt like everything I'd eaten and drank the previous day.

          Once I'd emptied my stomach and brushed my teeth, I went to the door. My back and my legs were aching, though I had absolutely no idea why. I hadn't drunk that much last night and there were no gaps in my memory. I didn't do anything strenuous yesterday either, so it was really weird.

          As soon as I opened the door, Christian barged in and mirrored my position at the toilet.

          Ew. I scrunched my nose, quickly hurrying out of the bathroom. He was a big boy and wouldn't need me there, holding his hair back for him. Not that Christian had any length of hair that would get in the way of throwing up.

          Wait. Christian?

          What the hell was he doing here? My parents had gone out the night before and had told me in no uncertain terms that everyone should be gone by the time they got back at two in the morning. Dad would lose it if he realized Christian was still here.

          I hurried back to the bathroom and locked the door behind me. Christian was –thankfully – done with the toilet, and was now standing in front of the sink, using my toothbrush.

           "Christian!" I moaned.

           "I used mouthwash first," he said quickly.

            I let that go, having a more pressing concern. "What are you doing here?"

           "What does it look like I'm doing?" he asked, his voice sounding a little hoarse. Shooting a pointed look at the sink, he rinsed his mouth and the toothbrush with water.

           "I meant what are you doing here, in my house, as opposed to your own?" I looked worriedly at the door of the bathroom. I hoped Mom and Dad were both still asleep.

           "I tucked you in when you crashed, like the awesome boyfriend I am. When your parents came home, your Dad suggested that I sleep in the guestroom, seeing as it was so late." Christian kissed me on the forehead as he walked past me. He unlocked the bathroom door. "Don't worry, I got everyone to clean away all the drinks before they left. Your parents probably know we were drinking, but there's no evidence."

          "Thank you," I told him, gratefully. I had no idea how I'd gotten so drunk. I followed after him in a daze. "And you are shitting me, right? My dad said you could spend the night?"

           "In the guestroom," he pointed out, looking around said room as he made the bed.

           "Still, I'm surprised. I'm guessing he slept with one ear open, probably listening to hear whether or not you'd try to sneak into my bedroom," I mused.