Chapter 8, Part 3 - Annabella

Lundama Jungle, Desmond, 10416 P.C.

It took Annabella's hands a while to stop trembling. Their close encounter with the Stranglers — her close encounter with death — had left her all shaken up, and she was worried that if they were attacked again that she wouldn't be able to wield her sword. The fact that Todd had saved her life was humiliating. She was the stronger one, the braver one, the warrior, and she had been taken down so easily. She was glad that Todd didn't seem to be the gloating type; in fact, he was just as quiet as her, trailing behind her wearily. The fight had left him bloodied and exhausted, and she had to grab him several times to make sure he didn't walk straight into a patch of quicksand. Not a word was spoken for ages, it seemed. Annabella finally settled on keeping a firm grip on Todd's wrist, leading him on. He didn't argue.

They had been walking for at least another hour before Todd finally broke the silence, his voice cracking on his words. "You didn't finish your story."

"Huh?"

"The story about the... the Immortal One." Finally, he had gotten the name right. "You didn't finish it."

She fought to remember where she had left off. "There's... I mean, there isn't much left to say. No one knows where His kids are, and He doesn't show up much either. A lot of people don't even believe in Him anymore. Those raised... the Trainees, the kids, they're taught that He's the enemy. Some invisible enemy they've gotta be ready to fight. Or something."

Todd tripped on a branch, and she fought to keep him on his feet. Her leg was throbbing, weighing her down. She wasn't even sure how she had made it this far. She pressed on, hoping beyond hope they'd find help somehow.

"So... why am I here?" Todd was right close to her now, and she realized that his eyes were a deep green, seemingly dulled by some sort of shadow. He was taller than her too, something she wasn't used to. She had always been overly tall for a girl, she'd been told. Todd's sweat-dampened dirty blond hair was sticking up in places and flattened in others, giving him a ruffled, rather innocent look. The blood smudged and speckled across his face contrasted with that.

Annabella licked her lips, which had become very dry and chapped. She noted his had as well. "I don't know." She said it before she thought about it. "I don't know why He sent you." She turned away from him, letting go of his arm and continuing their tiring walk. They still had hours of travelling ahead of them, and it was steadily getting dark.

Todd fell silent, and she was glad for that. However, when she thought about her words, she realized the reason for his silence. She couldn't regret her words, though, as they had been truthful. She didn't know why the Immortal One had sent Todd, of all people. The Immortal One could have picked someone who was actually capable, actually trained and prepared, and here He had sent this wimpy, innocent boy, hardly a man, completely unprepared for the hardships awaiting him. She couldn't say she liked the Immortal One's decision. At all.

The hours passed in agony. Darkness fell, but Annabella pressed on, forcing Todd to keep going. Very little conversation was had between the two, and there were times Annabella had to check behind her to make sure he was still following. He was so silent, even in his walking, it was almost unnerving. Every once in a while, she allowed him a short rest, making sure he was well hydrated. He clearly wasn't used to travelling long distances, especially in the dark. When he questioned why it was so dark, she bluntly told him it was nighttime. Apparently, it was morning in his world, something that Annabella tried not to be surprised about. The two worlds obviously didn't hold the same time frame. At least it helped in keeping Todd awake. That, and reminding him of the imposing dangers. To their luck, those imposing dangers never showed their ugly heads again.

When they made it to the end of the jungle, the pitch darkness gave way to dull light as the canopy of the jungle disappeared to reveal a clear, starry night. The moon was full and glowing, casting thousands of shadows across the forest floor as the two entered the Miinhart Forest. Annabella could breathe easier outside of the jungle. Not only were the woods easier to navigate, but Sarum was just miles away. If the coast proved to be clear, perhaps they could camp out at Tamara's for the rest of the night. She didn't want to admit it, but Annabella was exhausted. She knew she wouldn't last much longer. Her limp had become much more pronounced, her leg giving her grief. When Todd asked if she was okay, she brushed him off, driving him into silence with her short response. She was beginning to feel bad about how she was treating this boy, but she did her best to validate her reasons. It was just so unfair. How could the Immortal One do this to her, sending this incompetent boy? Her frustrated thoughts helped to push her on.

"Annabella," Todd murmured, drawing her attention to the fact that she had slowed to a stop. "Where are we going?" His words were slow, woven in weariness. She knew he wouldn't make it much longer, either. She was surprised he had made it this far.

She cleared her throat before she spoke. "Sarum. It's a town. We can camp out there." Her eyes burned, and she rubbed them, suddenly realizing the haze in the air.

"I smell smoke," Todd said.

She smelled it too, and her chest constricted. Sarum wasn't too far away... could the smoke be coming from it?

"No, no, no." Sudden panic took hold of her. She had been spotted, seen in Sarum not even a full day ago, and she knew the word of it would have reached Motch by now. With a burst of fear and disbelief, Annabella began to run, ignoring how her leg wanted to crumple each time her foot pounded the ground. She barely heard Todd following, dangerously silent. It was as if he had sensed something was terribly wrong as well.

And something was. Annabella knew it as the smoke became thicker, more choking. She ran through it blindly, begging inwardly that it was a lie, just a forest fire, but deep down, she knew. She knew.

Annabella tripped and fell, a ragged cry escaping her as her wounded leg connected hard with a solid surface. She had tripped over a brick wall — or rather, the remains of one. She was sprawled inside the remnants of what had once been a house; thick smoke blurred her vision, and embers around her still burned. She struggled to her feet, looking around, tears and smoke stinging her eyes as she beheld the remains of what had once been the little town of Sarum. Beyond her, rubble and fires dotted the landscape. In some places, it looked as though the ground had been blasted in. She heard nothing. No screams, no cries. Only silence.

Immortal One, no... no, please, no...

"Annabella!" Todd was calling her, somewhere behind her, coughing on the smoke. She covered her mouth, shaking, tears blurring her vision. Sarum was destroyed, and it was all her fault. Her stupid decision had killed hundreds of people.

Todd seemed even farther away. "Where are you? Annab—" His shout was cut off by his own yelp of pain, and Annabella's heart nearly stopped. When he didn't call her again, the panic within her doubled.

There were there. They had found her.

"Todd, no!" She spun around, drawing her sword, but she only managed two steps before someone appeared out of the smoke and darkness, knocking her sword from her hand and her feet out from under her. She fell hard on her back with a yell. Blindly, she flailed for her sword.

A boot came down on her wrist, pinning it to the ground. "Give it up, Princess. It's over."