V : Motherhood

A/N : Sometimes you don't get to see a side of someone until you see them around someone else. Sorry for the wait.

Motherhood

Carol's nervousness was incredible for Therese to witness. It pulled at her heart, but she didn't dare go near her. Carol couldn't seem to sit still, and yet she was completely silent. She would pop in and out of rooms unannounced, and then float back out like a ghost.

The night before, she had talked to Therese with an honesty that was refreshing. She expressed her fears, her concerns, and even her excitement. When the sun rose, though, Carol was quiet and steered clear of Therese. She had cleaned obsessively all morning and spent a long time getting ready. There was no music, no television, and no conversation. When the doorbell finally rang, Therese crept down the hall into their bedroom and waited.

"Mommy!" She heard Rindy yell the moment their front door opened. Then Carol's voice rang out and Therese knew she was lifting up Rindy and holding her close. Then there was Harge. His footsteps seemed to thump slowly into the apartment. The heavy footfalls sounded so unusual against their wood floor. There was only ever the tapping of women's heels or the padding of bare feet.

"It's nice, Carol." Therese could hear the insincerity in Harge's voice. She could picture his furrowed eyebrows and skeptical gaze.

"Thank you," Carol said.

Carol continued to chat with Rindy and Therese listened closely for Harge's parting words. When the door shut, she let go of her shoulders and breathed. She left the bedroom.

Carol was standing at their kitchen counter, leaning between Rindy's short legs that just barely hung off the edge. She looked up at Therese.

Rindy's little head whipped around and locked eyes with Therese. She started, but leaned into Carol and rested her forehead on her mother's chin.

"Rindy, you remember Therese, don't you angel?" Rindy nodded against Carol and she kissed her forehead.

Therese walked forward and extended her hand to the child. "It's nice to see you again, Rindy."

Rindy slid under Carol's chin, getting closer to her chest, but extended her little hand to meet Therese and gave it a squeeze.

"It's nice to see you too," Rindy said.

Therese could feel Carol looking at her and she interacted with Rindy.

"Mommy?" Rindy looked up at her with a sudden smile and all at once the quiet meeting was over.

"What are we going to do today?"

Carol smiled wide. "Well sweet pea, whatever you want to do. You've still got all your christmas presents here, there's television, and your coloring book."

Rindy thought about it for a minute. She looked up at Carol, and then pulled down her head, bringing her little lips to her mother's ear. She whispered.

Therese watched as Carol closed her eyes, seeming to be lost in the feeling of being so close to her daughter for the first time in months. As Rindy whispered, Carol smiled and Therese was sure that that was a smile she wanted to stay forever.

Letting out a laugh, Carol pulled away and kissed Rindy's cheek. "Oh I have no doubt that Therese likes to, shall we ask her?" Rindy nodded.

"Therese, are you by any chance into coloring?"

Therese smiled. "I am, actually."

The trio found themselves on the floor, shoeless and on their bellies, with crayons in their hands. Therese learned that as quiet as Rindy was, she had an easy sense of humor that no doubt had been influenced by Carol, but the way she delivered her lines was very much Abby. All of those afternoons together, Therese thought, had no doubt formed this little girl's existence. This didn't upset Therese, either. It was the most endearing part about Rindy; she was so much the women around her. Maybe one day Rindy would reflect a little bit of Therese as well.