Dragon Mom - 15, 16

Thankfully, there was a lull in the dangers for a while after the Midas situation. Rellick got to enjoy life for a bit, albeit in the city and not in his home. But sadly, it could not last. Rumor cane of a dragon that had started terrorizing villages in the western kingdom's realm, swearing vengeance for a child of hers killed by their former king. Of course, she could hardly have known Rellick was the one who had killed him, but upon hearing of the situation, Rellick knew well enough that the situation was likely his fault.

After saying his goodbyes, Rellick left to confront the dragon, and offer her a fair fight against him for killing her son. Sure enough, when she heard his offer she agreed.

Her anger fueled her fight, and his honor fueled his. But her anger made her sloppy, and was perhaps the only reason Rellick stood a chance. The fight took an entire day and an entire night of Rellick attempting to evade her attacks and land attacks of his own. Neither was making solid headway, and both ran out of stamina as the dawn of the second day began.

Neither could fight without rest, and so they agreed to a truce for a moment so they could eat and rest. While doing so, Rellick began to talk. The dragon had little interest in his talking, though he told her a story nonetheless. It was a story of another dragon he had met and challenged. With each puzzle Rellick mentioned, the dragon commented that she'd taught her son every puzzle she knew. Rellick didn't doubt it. But when it came to the last puzzle, Rellick told her of the conditions, but asked if she would take the same conditions to settle their fight over the final puzzle. The dragon, of course, agreed. And Rellick presented the puzzle.

Noon of that day, Rellick returned to the capital with the dragon's head in tow.