3: birthday blues

what i feel for you doesn't have a name

C H A E Y O U N G

February 11, 2019

Turning a year older sure feels different for me each time. I somehow manage to have one inevitable feeling and this year, I feel regretful. Regretful that I haven't alotted a lot of time with some of my friends and especially with my family. Music school got the best of me and most of my free time I spend it with Chanyeol. I didn't actually notice how much time we've been spending together until Jisoo and Jennie pointed it out last night when we welcomed my birthday. I felt regretful and certainly not wiser, but birthdays are birthdays. I'll let it get the best of me, I deserve it after all. Chanyeol said I'm too worked up. Whatever that means.

I woke up with a slight hint of dizziness as the hangover kick in, "Crap,"

"Chae!" My older brother Henry said, or screamed, followed by an awfully loud knock on my bedroom door.

I groaned and hid under the sheets as he barged in, he sat beside me and started shaking my body.

"Whaaaaat?" I whined.

"Your boyfriend is here, he's quite a catch I must say" He teased.

I laughed, "Boyfrien- WHAT?!"

It can't be. He won't right? I mean, we agreed. Why the hell would he go to my house without asking me first? He probably thought I wouldn't say yes and if he did then he's right. My parents wouldn't be so thrilled to find out about him, especially since I kept him hidden for such a long time. I jumped out of my bed and threw my robe on as I quickly emerged from stairs only to find Chanyeol chit-chatting with my dad, happily may I add, while my mother gives him tea.

What in the world is happening right now?

"Hey, bud! Happy Birthday!" My dad greeted me as he placed his mug down.

Mom went over to where I was and placed a kiss on my forehead, "Happy Birthday Darling!"

"Thank you," I gave them a tightlipped smiled and diverted my gaze on Chanyeol who was smiling, "What are you doing here?"

I felt the panic come over him as he nervously rubs his hands over his thighs as he stood up and handed me the flowers sitting beside him, "I'm sorry, I should've called"

I wanted to tell him off and push him out the door, but that sweet smile he had on made it so damn hard.

"Happy Birthday," He said. I peeked over his shoulder and saw my parents giving me a thumbs up. I don't know if I should feel relieved or embarrassed.

It definitely felt odd having Chanyeol over, maybe because I was lying to my parents and Henry. But they really did like him, my dad might've spoken more to him than I did in the past two years, my brother too. I knew they would get along, it had crossed my mind many times before but not to a point where I would actually consider bringing him home.

Brunch went on smoothly, my parents asked the usual questions. When, how, why... Chanyeol was the one to answer all of it as I sat and watch them in silence. When it was over, we went and took care of the dishes.

"What were you thinking?" I asked once my parents were out of sight.

"I wanted to surprise you," He said as he placed down the plates, and faced me "What's so wrong with that?"

"We agreed to keep our families out all together Yeol, this isn't exactly that. We're not really da-" I stopped mid-sentence when my mother entered the kitchen.