Part 2: The Protecting, Chapter 1: The Replacement

Mallory sat in his office, his chest twinging. But no, what he had done to Howard hadn't been wrong. It hadn't been for his own gain like when he manipulated as a teen; it had been for his kids and others like them. It wasn't truly bad if he was doing it for a good purpose. Besides, if Howard were to have children of her own, she would understand. Maybe. He couldn't see some of the people he knew who had kids understanding, but he couldn't place why.

But never mind all that. He looked back at his laptop and pulled up the database with information on all of the Lunar Eclipse Resistance's employees in it. He hadn't thought that Howard would actually go through with not killing Pitch. He thought he could scare her into staying, but he hadn't. His chest tightened more at the thought of having to find a replacement for her. He scrolled through the spreadsheet, but no one had as destructive of a Power-Inducer ability as Beth did.

He would have to put together a team this time. Hopefully, that would mean that they wouldn't be as scared as Howard with other people to back them up. But it would also mean that they could team up against Mallory. He had almost thought that Beth was going to attack him, but she hadn't, which he was grateful for. He would have to choose the people who were the most loyal to him.

Scanning the list of agents and their powers, he picked out a few who he knew would do whatever he told them to and succeed at it: Agents C. Vaughn, R. Lyle, and K. Donnelly, led by L. Graham, the most loyal of them all. That would be a perfect team. Vaughn and Donnelly had powerful abilities, although they could only use them on one person at a time, and Lyle was easily excited by battle, fearless. And of course, being able to see better in Pitch's lair would help combat the fear it radiated.

All could still go according to plan.

*}{/*}{/*}{/*

Beth's body shook as she took deep breaths, sitting on Irene's green couch. The nearby blinds were shut for the night, but the lights were uncharacteristically still on and the TV off.

"You could steal some weapons," Irene suggested. "Then you would still be safe."

Beth shook her head. "I don't have access to the storage areas or Garcia's lab. What we h-have to do is make ourselves more trustworthy and credible than Bennett. We have to expose what he's doing."

"Who would care if he kills Pitch?"

There was lead in Beth's gut that twisted into hardened shapes. "I would. And there has to be other people who would at least know that threatening me is wrong."

"But who would believe us? Everyone likes Bennett. He's never done anything wrong before. You...should be careful, Beth."

"We have to stop him from killing Pitch." Why did Beth care so much about being a hero? She wasn't a child anymore! Why did she care what people thought of her at all?

"But you heard what Bennett said. You shouldn't get involved in this. You could die sooner. And wouldn't you be safer if he killed Pitch?"

Beth shook her head. "No, the Fearlings and Nightmares might come after the L.E.R. in revenge, or they might break off to form more groups. Or they might possess someone else worse."

"I wish we could write the Guardians a letter or something to come protect you."

"Yeah, but the Fearlings would probably steal it."

Irene looked away.

"So how should we expose Bennett?" Beth asked. The fear in her heart began to calm. She could figure out a plan to save everyone.

"It would be hard, especially since he threatened you. He could kick us out before you had the chance."

"Maybe Whisper would recognize him for who he is. Can't she sense darkness?"