{ chapter 1 }

a new family.

╔═ .✾. ═══╗

you were, fortunately so, no longer a baby. another fortune was that you also remembered the majority of events from your past life, including the storyline of kimetsu no yaiba (demon slayer). 'why is this important?' one may ask.

"(f/n) nee-sama?" a young girl spoke, her head peeking out from behind the large sliding door. 

well, your answers lie here. your full name was now (f/n) kocho, and the young girl's name was kanae kocho. it didn't take you long to find out that you were, indeed, in the world of kimetsu no yaiba (demon slayer) when you heard that your younger sister's name was going to be kanae, or soon to be born younger sibling was to be named shinobu. kanae kocho and shinobu kocho. it was hard for you to pretend this was all a coincidence. 

"yes, butterfly?" you answered as you smiled as gently as possible. "did you need something?" 

you watched as the young kanae grinned, her eyes sparkling at the reply. you couldn't help but smile at the sight. this was your new family. you hadn't forgotten your past family, but you knew that you couldn't hold onto them forever. spending time with your parents and kanae had made you realise that they too were your family. however, realising that you were in the world of demon slayer specifically also brought many concerns. demons... and death. 

death is, after all, inevitable. 

═ .✾.

a few years later.

'there's no god out there,' you concluded in your mind as you ran through the pitch-black hallways of the kocho household, your palms sticky from the sweat as you refused to let go of shinobu's hand. just a few minutes ago, you had witnessed the death of your parents. their room was filled with the foul stench of fresh blood, the ironic scent reaching the tip of your nose as you swiftly covered it with your sleeves. you didn't have time to think, but your guts wrenched with a horrid feeling and your instincts screamed for you to run as you made out a lone figure in the darkness. 'fuck,' you cursed as you turned and began to run. 

you thought that you were safe when you found yourself in the kocho household, but it had completely slipped from your mind that there was no mention of shinobu's parents throughout the entire series- and there was a reason behind it. you had to find kanae- before it was too late. 

"kanae! where are you?!" you screamed, desperate to find your sister. 

your heart raced. this was no longer just an anime or a manga. this wasn't fiction. this was real, and that terrified you. but if it terrified you, how was kanae and shinobu going to feel? so, you busied yourself with the safety of your sisters, utilising the adrenaline that rushed through your body. it was the least you could do for your parents, because you wouldn't be able to look them in the eyes knowing that you couldn't save your sisters. 

═ .✾.

you held kanae's hand and shinobu on your back as you ran outside. 

"please, please, please- someone...!" you yelled, your voice trembling as you did. 

your legs threatened to give out under the pressure that was placed on you both mentally and physically as you searched for someone to help you- anyone. you begged in your mind that there would be someone that would be able to help you and your sisters. 

"please..." your voice was hoarse as its volume began to decrease. 

it wasn't going to be long before the demon caught up with you. 

"kanae," you called quietly a gentle smile plastered across your face. "i need you to take shinobu and run as far as you can, okay?" 

the small girl turned to you, her face pale as she shook her head, trembling. your heart tugged at the sight, but you had no other choice. you put shinobu down and held each hand of the two girls, letting out a sigh. 

"don't let go of each other and run for it, okay? otherwise i'll be very, very angry. do you understand?" 

both girls began to cry, though shinobu seemed determined to follow your demands. she nodded her head, sniffing in an attempt to stop the tears from falling. her small hands were tightened around kanae's with no thought of letting go. you grinned proudly at what could be your last time seeing the two.

"that's my butterflies. i love you both very much-" you held your breath, forcing the smile to stay on your face. "now go- run." 

═ .✾.

it was only a few minutes after you sent your two sisters off before you heard footsteps from behind you. 

"hah? wasn't there two more of you? and here i thought i was going to have a feast tonight," a croaky voice spoke, clicking their tongue in disappointment. 

you turned slowly, biting the inside of your cheek to stay focused. you couldn't afford to be afraid. 'it's life or death, (f/n).' you took a deep breath in, preparing yourself for what was to come. yet, nothing came. you stood there; your body too fatigued to react as you watched the demon's head get cut clean. 

"-this can't be..." it mumbled before its body turned to ash completely. 

it took a while before you were able to full process the events that had just occurred. the demon was, extremely fortunately so, dead. never have you ever been more grateful that someone- or something- had died. but if the demon was dead, who had killed it? 

"was that me?" you whispered under your breath as you tried to make everything make sense in your small brain. "no, that was not me- ain't no way. who the fuck???" 

least to say, you were completely, and utterly, confused. then, a familiar shade of yellow and orange appeared in the corner of your eyes. your legs had long since lost its strength along with your body, yet your reaction remained fast as you turned your head in a flash at the direction of the man who was awfully similar to the one you used to see on your screen.

"are you okay?" he asked, his tone as gentle as possible. 

his calloused hand reached out for yours as you continued to watch in awe at the familiar figure. this didn't happen for long, however, because you had your priorities straight (unlike some people). you took his hands into your own, a sense of distress overwhelming you as you yelled,

"sir, please- i beg of you, please help me find my sisters!" 

╚════════ .✾. ═╝

a/n: for anyone who is reading this story, thank you so much for doing so. i'm the author of trying to make a difference and decided to bring this story back after seeing it rotting away in my list of works. i hope you enjoy your stay here and feel free to leave a comment! this is also my first fanfic in a while now, and i don't have an editor so just point out any mistakes and forgive me if you see them. just a warning as well, there may be changes to the perspective/pov. right now, it's second person, but it may switch between second and third. anyways, once again: thank you for reading.

- sun.