9

I swung my scythe, watching the chain shatter into a million pieces before dissolving. The man stared at me.

"Huh, well, looks like your lucky day. You're probably not going to-"

Loud rumbling interrupted me. The floor cracked and split apart. Large gates draped in chains rose up. Rust coated most of its surface. The chains fell away and the gates swung open. I covered my ears as screaming filled the room.

"Guess I spoke too soon!" I yelled over the noise. "Have fun in Hell!"

I turned and walked away, humming. I pulled out the list and crossed off Jackson Whitney.

"Hey, Death! I'm done!"

"Took you long enough." He appeared next to me.

"Says the guy who takes longer than me in the bathroom," I said. "We taking a break or what?"

He laugh and pulled his hood down. "Yeah, but you don't get another one for twenty years."

"You're kidding, right?"

"Nope," Death said. It was hard to tell if he was kidding or not. Take a seat, you've got five minutes."

"What are you going to do?"

"I'm going to go get coffee."

Before I could stop him, he disappeared. I sat down and leaned my head back against the wall. I closed my eyes.

"Here."

I opened my eyes. Death held a cup towards me and I took it.

"Is- Is it cold?" I took the lid off and steam rose through the air. I took a careful sip. Warmth spread through me, making me the warmest I had been since my death. "I dislike that."

"First you insult my scythe and now you're insulting my favorite cafe? I think I made a mistake taking you on."

"I could have told you that."

Death chuckled. "I know I didn't make a mistake, I had my reasons for picking you."

"Like what?"

He never answered me. Tapping his wrist, he stood. "Break time's over. Let's get a move on."

I reached up for help. Death looked at me. With a roll of his eyes, he turned away.

I sighed and got up. Coffee sloshed out of my cup and onto me. I should have closed the lid before getting up.

"Do want the rest of your coffee?" Death asked.

"The rest of it is on me." I tossed the cup to him.

"That's such a waste of coffee." The cups disappeared and Death pulled his scarf over his nose. His face disappeared in the shadow of his hood.

My hand closed around the piece of paper he gave me. I didn't bother looking at it until he left.

Names and distances neatly lined the page, the ink dry and smudge-free.

My scythe dangled loose in my hand as I read through the names. I tightened my grip and ran through the hospital.

I made a few quick stops to murder people before heading outside. The light hurt my eyes, but I didn't let that slow me down. My feet didn't make sound as buildings passed in blurs.

I made a right and slipped through an open window. My eyes locked onto the small soul looking around and I swallowed.

"Susie?" I crouched and rested my scythe on the floor. "Hi, sweetie."