Part 4

Yancey sat downstairs in his office and looked at the clock.
It's already that late? I'll go ahead and take a break then. I wonder if Jon wants to go out and get some lunch?

After standing up and giving a good stretch Yancey headed upstairs knocking on the door, but when there was no response, he let himself in.
"Jon? You in here? Hello?"

There was no reply and no sign of Jon either.
I guess he isn't home... but he doesn't have work today, where could he be?

After heading back downstairs, he stopped at Carmellia's desk.
"Good afternoon Yancey."
"You too Carmellia. Hey have you seen Jon lately?"

She thought for a second before responding.
"Let's see.... right! He and Jason went out a few hours ago. Jason said something about a surprise and then they headed out."

Yancey felt his heart falter but grinned at her not letting his voice show anything but his normal cheery self.
He didn't even tell me...
"Thanks! I'm going to head out for a few get some lunch."

She waved as he exited the building with a bounce in his step, only when he was sure she could no longer see him did he slow down and finally slouch.
You would think he'd at least let me know with a text or something... oh maybe he did!

He pulled out his phone a bit too quickly sending it flying out of his grip. He raced to grab it just barely connecting with his fingertips as the phone continued to sail through the air until it didn't.
Following the flying phone with his eyes, Yancey crashed to the ground as his phone slipped right through a water drain.

"Ugh Fuck! Come on!"

He could feel the tears prick his eyes as he stared into the abyss before picking himself up.
His forearms and knees stung as he brushed them off.
Ow... that hurt. Well I'm already out here, I'm getting lunch fuck it...

He trudged down the icy street, actively avoiding any icy patches to make sure his limp didn't get any worse.

Getting into the warm cafe he sat down and ordered some calm chowder, the perfect soup on a day like this. He briefly went to the restroom, it was a unisex one so it was just a room with a toilet, sink, and mirror. Taking a look at his arms, there were already some bruises starting from his fall earlier; his knees however were some bad grazes, he need to get them checked out later. Putting his clothes back on, he headed back outside toward TunnelTech.
I wonder if Jon ever tried to back back in touch with me...?

It felt like the walk was twice long and he wasn't even half way there as he stopped to take a break.
Yeah my knees for sure need a doctor..

His thoughts were cut off as he heard a loud crash followed by honks of car alarms going off and looked up to see a tanker upturned over a black car that looked way too familiar. Yancey stood up at stared at the scene in front of him shocked.
That's... that's Laurels car!

As fast as his damaged legs could carry him, he raced over there. People were already calling out to call an ambulance. Yancey raced to the black car despite people calling out to him. Skidding to the shattered windows ignoring the pain he felt in his hands and palms he was met with his worst fear: inside, hung Laurel, hair plastered with blood.

"Laurel! No! I'll get you out!"
"Ya-Yancey? Is that you?"
"Yeah! Gods what happened!?"
"I...I don't know."

He sounded weak as two men took Yancey away. More people took their place as they spoke to him.
"Sir you need to"
"Please! You need to save my brother!"
"Your... we'd do all we can."
The firefighter looked down at Yancey's hands as he grabbed him.
"Your hands! Let's get the EMTs to look at you ok?"