Part 5

It had been a few hours but Yancey sat in the chair next to his twins hospital bed. Laurel was awake and was while he couldn't remember anything about the crash, he listened while Yancey talked about it.

"So... Yancey? Where's Jon?"
"Downstairs..."
"Why is he down there?"
"We had... a fight. I said some awful things. I'm not sure how I can make up for it.."
"I'm sure they weren't that bad."
"I said that he wasn't family.."
"Oh."
"Yeah..."

Meanwhile, Dracynir stood talking to its own brother, of a sort; a tall man wearing a crispy white suit looking like he was straight out of the roaring 20s. He was scrolling down a news feed on his phone while they chatted.

"Well, Dracynir? What do you plan on doing with this human? I've never seen you take such an interest."
"I don't know. We aren't a good influence on him though..."
"That's a surprise. What made you think of that conclusion?"
"He had a fight with his friend."
"Humans fight, big deal."
"Avarice! I'm serious."

The man looked up, his golden eyes thinning. Before looking down the hall, seeing the so called friend of the human talking to his lover.

"That's him then? The friend."
"Hm? Oh, yes that's Jon. I want to help them become friends again."
"We aren't made for that you know. Helping."
"I know. I'll need your help, they don't... trust me."
"Gee I wonder why?"

Dracynir sighed before messing with its hands.

"Avarice, this is important to me. I..."
"Yeah yeah yeah I know. Oh. That's Bruce Wayne isn't it."
"Your questions sound like statements."
"That's because I don't ask questions. But fine. I'll help."

He put his phone away with a sign and walked up to the group of three men, Jon Napier, Bruce Wayne, and his ward, Jason Todd.
The men stopped chatting as he approached.

"Hello fellows."
"Ah Vince. What brings you here?"
"Let's say I'm supporting a friend."

Jason looked at him, nay, glared.
"Another demon?"
Avarice raised an eyebrow at him but didn't give him the honor of an answer.

"So Mr. Wayne, why haven't you all seen the injured movie star?"
"There was a situation."

Avarice pulled his phone back out and started to scroll through his social media feed as he absentminded responded.
"Well, he's awake, you all should see him."

Jon rushed pasted him without a word. Avarice, sewing his Job was done, went back to Dracynir.
"There. I helped."

________________________________

Yancey had just opened the door when Jon rushed in.

"Jon I'm really..."

Jon raced past him to Laurel who was sitting up and having a drink of water.
"Laurel! Are you ok?"
"Yup. My head is a little bit sore and the doctor said my arm is broke in 10 spots and I might not get to use it any time soon, if at all.. but hey, I'm alive!"

Jon gently hugged him while Yancey stood off to the side, inching toward the door before finally leaving.

"Jon, he feels really bad about what he did."
He stood up.
"Laurel, I'm here for you."
"I know. And I'm thankful that you are; however, that's part of the problem. I..."
he paused and looked down before taking a breath and continuing.
"That's why I came over today. Yancey's been pretty down lately."
"What? No he hasn't. He's been the same as always."
"Maybe to you. He'd been sending me texts. Uh for a while. I'd show you but. Well no more phone."
Laurel crackled a smile before continuing.
"Jon he, he felt... lonely. He felt like the two of you were drifting apart from each other."
"What?"
"He commented that Jason was the person you spent all your time with. Which is understandable. You two are in love with each other. That's great and everyone is happy for you. But maybe you could do something with Yancey once a week? Or at least text him to say you're going out, so he doesn't hear it from someone else ok?"
"Ok..."
"Jon, I know Yancey can be a handful, but he's a nice guy... and he really is sorry. He cried basically until like a minute before you came in."
Jon was shooed out as some nurses came in to run some tests, leaving Laurel's latest words with a taste in his mouth.